Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mirror relocation brackets help needed (rugged ridge)

Old 01-20-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default next step

Off to the recycler today.. A 2008 Wrangler (bless her heart) donated my new drivers side mirror. $40.00 including arm..not bad..I guess. Still I have to do this at all.

Interestingly enough..the mirrors (new and old) really seem to be put together differently (from when viewing into the back connection points) from new to old..older mirror build appears stronger and used screws in places my new one didn't.

Next issue..it must have sat for some time..the mirror barely moves inside the housing - (it moves, but not like it should) VERY hard to get to move..feels like corrosion has built up..although I really don't know what it is that's causing the difficulty.

What should I do to loosen this up?? Soak it? If so..in what? (CLR - Calcium Lime Rust..remover) Wash it? With what? Spray something in it?? Like what??

Ideas??
Old 01-20-2010, 10:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just saturated it in WD-40... just take your time.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Two days of PB Blaster on the post and WD-40 (as suggested) for the mirror connection (for movement). Results = perfect. Kneeling on mirror and tapping of arm..it seperated..(dirt EVERYWHERE - whoever owned the donor vehicle musta' wheeled..mud INSIDE all the plastics..inside the mirror behind the seals even).

WD-40 then a rinse really did the trick to loosen the mirror face. Fully functional now. Mirror head turned out to be the same size as the original. Went back together without a hitch. Some tweaking for best vision and WA-LA.

Project complete. Hope this helps/ed and/or entertains/ed.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Default wow

Originally Posted by SUNPRO
Two days of PB Blaster on the post and WD-40 (as suggested) for the mirror connection (for movement). Results = perfect. Kneeling on mirror and tapping of arm..it seperated..(dirt EVERYWHERE - whoever owned the donor vehicle musta' wheeled..mud INSIDE all the plastics..inside the mirror behind the seals even).

WD-40 then a rinse really did the trick to loosen the mirror face. Fully functional now. Mirror head turned out to be the same size as the original. Went back together without a hitch. Some tweaking for best vision and WA-LA.

Project complete. Hope this helps/ed and/or entertains/ed.
wow - sounds like my warrior hi-lift hood mount bracket experience x 1000!!!

thought a simple 5 minute mod, but then turns into a project. after moving brackets around, rotating jack, adding spacers, finally concluded there is no way to install without blocking the hoods washer/sprayer. oops!

also noticed afer a week my jack was rusting all over the hood. when i decided to abort project and remove, one of the bolts started to strip into the hood hinge and thanks to pb blaster i was able to get the "5 minute mod" off my rig and now the $90 brackets sit in storage.

i received this RR relo-mod for christmas - think i'll wait until spring to install!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Thank god I'm not the only one with "simple mod" issues. I can only imagine the nightmares with "difficult mods". Wonder if this would be a good new thread topic... oh yeah.. "Simple to difficlut" mod issues. Here we go..
Old 01-27-2010, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SUNPRO
Thank god I'm not the only one with "simple mod" issues. I can only imagine the nightmares with "difficult mods". Wonder if this would be a good new thread topic... oh yeah.. "Simple to difficlut" mod issues. Here we go..
2 other EZ installs are removing the CatBack and removing the air/fuel sensor on the intake tube during a CAI install.

I finally broke down and drove into a muffler shop and let a 6'8" 300+lb guy appropriately named "monster" spend over an hour wrestling the exhaust off. even with a hydraulic lift and torch he struggled with the EZ CatBack removal.

For the EZ sensor removal, i used WD40, screwdriver, pliers and finally gave in and found a $20 tool used to remove plastic body plugs. need to be extremely careful not to break the $130 sensor.

Neither installation instructions provided 'tips' on removing.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow 4 pages on this? Well I live in Chicago and and put these on last year also. Easy, first lubricate the mirrors with some rust lubricant, dont worry it wont eat the plastic. Make sure you have them on the Jeep this way you can use some muscle to hit it from the bottom up. Lot of back and forth wiggling and pounding up but after about 2 minutes or so mine came off. You can see the build up of corrosion so make sure you put some anti seeze wnen you put back together. I wouldnt use a screw driver or anything to pry the mirrors.

Hope this helps!!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

For what it's worth, I trotted out in the garage tonight, thinking this would be a 30 minute job only to discover that my mirrors wouldn't just "pop out." So I came back in to check with the JK-Forum source and found out that I need the help of a pursuader.

I didn't use any WD product or anything like that. I just backed out the Torx bolt, put the blade of a small screwdriver into the head of the bolt and gave the end of the screwdriver a few good whacks with the pursuader. Out it came!! Once I figured that out, I had both sides done in 20 minutes.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CreepJeep67
For what it's worth, I trotted out in the garage tonight, thinking this would be a 30 minute job only to discover that my mirrors wouldn't just "pop out." So I came back in to check with the JK-Forum source and found out that I need the help of a pursuader.

I didn't use any WD product or anything like that. I just backed out the Torx bolt, put the blade of a small screwdriver into the head of the bolt and gave the end of the screwdriver a few good whacks with the pursuader. Out it came!! Once I figured that out, I had both sides done in 20 minutes.
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where were you and yourpost when we needed you??????????? Thank you for chiming in..
Old 03-06-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep...tried all the whacking and twisting and turning and sweet talking...Wanna know what I got? I brand spankin new broken mirror. My Jeep doesn't even have 1000 miles on it yet and I already went n fudged somethin up!

I got the passenger's side off without any issues!

Ok...Anyone know where to get a mint driver's side mirror in the northeast?

Quick Reply: Mirror relocation brackets help needed (rugged ridge)