Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mirror Relocation Bracket Problem!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror Relocation Bracket Problem!

I purchased mirror relocation brackets from Quadratec and they are great. The only problem is that no matter how how I try I just can not get my stock mirror to pull out of its socket. I take it off my jeep but just can not get it apart to slide into the new bracket.

Anyone have any advice?
Old 11-21-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jmihalick
I purchased mirror relocation brackets from Quadratec and they are great. The only problem is that no matter how how I try I just can not get my stock mirror to pull out of its socket. I take it off my jeep but just can not get it apart to slide into the new bracket.

Anyone have any advice?
Haven't really worked with the mirrors, but possibly pry it off with a flat head

Post some pics
Old 11-21-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

This is what I had to do. First leave the mirror on the door bracket to get leverage. I covered the mirror with a towel to protect it. I removed the screw from the bottom and sprayed Liquid Torch ( I don't work for the company, any penetrating oil will do) inside the threads. I then waited and then tried to twist and pull up on the mirror. For some reason it makes a cracking sound, like you are breaking the post on the mirror, but didn't seem to do any damage to the bracket or mirror. If that doesn't work, I read somewhere on here to back the screw out a bit and gently tap it with a rubber mallet. I tried that and it does help but can damage the threads on the inside of the mirror post. I put some grease on the screws this past fall, so next spring the bracket will come apart easier, but who knows what will happen. I was helping a friend take his mirrors off his JK and they came off with no problem what so ever, but this is a common problem with JKs it seems. Hope this helps, if you need more info let me know.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same problem...I actually was standing on top of my jeep for leverage...turns out that I broke the plastic on both mirrors...I mounted them on the new brackets from quadratec and installed them on the jeep with the doors off...then I sat in the drivers seat to make adjustments and found out that I couldnt even see the passenger mirror...kind of defeats the purpose. I ended up taking a set of TJ mirrors off of a 97 jeep and installed them in the brackets...gives me plenty of adjustability and I can actually use the passenger mirror. You want to make sure the mirrors are pre 04 because the ones before 2004 have a nut on the bottom.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Unscrew the bolt a bit, but do not remove it - then tap up on the bolt with a hammer.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

Which brackets does everybody use?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rugged ridge here. What I found to work well is to loosen the torx bolt with the mirrors still on the jeep. Then use a flat head screw driver that fits inside the torx head. Beat that screw driver from the bottom with a hammer. It will eventually come loose. Then, put some paint on the metal before assembling the mirrors to the new brackets.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

will TJ mirrors fit?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used TJ mirrors....Make sure however they are from a 03 or older...the 2003 TJ mirror and prior have a nut used to fasten it on the bottom...I used a washer and used some mirrors off of a 2002 TJ.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't bang on the screw to get it out. The mirrors changed in mid-2008. Some some come out much easier than others. So take advice carefully because some of it is coming from guys who's mirrors were not hard at all to remove.

I was the first one to find I had the new redesigned mirror stalks. I worked with rugged ridge becaue their existing brackets wouldn't fit the new mirrors. I provided them with pictures and measurements. My mirrors were VERY hard to get out. I tried the screw trick and knocked the threads right out of the mirror long before the mirror ever came out.

Instead take the screw all the way out and then put a punch into the hole. It should touch the bottom of the hole and not the threads. Then you can safely pound away without any risk of damaging the threads. You'd be amazed at how hard I had to hit mine to get them out. Becareful because if they are like mine when they finally let go they'll shoot off. So it might be worth while to have someone hold the mirror.

Quick Reply: Mirror Relocation Bracket Problem!