Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

minimum mods for 35's

Old 05-14-2008, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default minimum mods for 35's

i tried searching, but cant really find my answer...what mods are needed to run 35's.

and is bigger always better? was leaning more towards 33's

Old 05-14-2008, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

actually i found it in the faqs....for some reason i didnt see the susupension faq..

would just a 2inch bb work
Old 05-14-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

right now im competely stock and totallly new to the whole jeep scene...so all this lingo its totally obsolete to me!

theres a guy selling some BBs on here, but i dont know if i need them for the front and back, or just the front...

oh yea the tires i was thinking about are coopers 35\12.50\15, and i was thinking about goin to the junker and pickin up some cheap jeep rims for now...so how would i know if i need a spacer or not
Old 05-14-2008, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dont fall into the trap of 'bigger tires equals better jeep'. Granted I personally think that 35s give a better visual stance than 33s BUT when it comes to off-roadability the difference is moot when you consider the drivers skill. I.e. a driver with good abillity and experience could out-wheel a relatively inexperienced driver with a monster rig and huge tires.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:44 PM
JK Freak

Simply put, 35s are overkill for about 95% of people. I'm a Moab "veteran" (well, I've wheeled there twice and lived to tell about it ) and I have done some pretty tough trails with nothing but a 2.5" BB and 32s.

If you don't do extreme mudding or rock crawling then 33s and a 2" BB is all you need for a capable, good looking rig IMHO.

If my Jeep had 35s I would make sure no one was watching during ingress and egress. Despite being 6'3", I think I would have to jump.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock
This is absolutely right. I've seen excellent drivers with 30" tires on a TJ handle obstacles as well as JK's on 35's.

Lets face it. We have very capable machines. The vast majority that go with 35's are doing it for cosmetic reasons (me included). The biggest "real" advantage to 35's is the better breakover angle for us 4dr's. A 4dr with 35's (and the required lift to fit 35's) will give us approximately the same breakover as a stock 2dr. 35's on a 2dr are just not necessary for most situations.

But hey- 35's look great I can't wait to get mine next week.
Good point about the 4-door's breakover angle.

35s do look darn good. Upload some pics when you get them on!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

From my very limited experience, I can say the breakover for 4 dr is a real concern which 35's help to address... but also, when wheeling on some trails with ruts dug out by larger tires, I've dragged my diff the entire way running 32's. (Narrow trails, surrounded by trees... no choice but running ruts) Larger tires would also help raise the axle and prevent things like that... even though that doesn't present much reason for concern unless there are rocks or roots to snag you up in between the ruts... I basically just plowed clay the whole way... haha
Just wanted to pitch that in. It may not be that big of a deal. I'm definitely still learning my way so far as offroading goes.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

Wouldn't gears come into play here too? According to this chart on Quadratec's site 35's put you outside the optimal rpm range (in terms of power) even if you have 4.10's. With 33's and 4.10 gears you are still in the "green" for best overall performance (power vs. fuel economy). I'm personally leaning towards 33's for this reason (it's my daily driver as well as my toy).

source: Quadtrec http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-26.htm
Old 05-15-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gears definitely come into play, but I plan to regear when I up tire size, personally.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a real 33 is more than adequate for most applications. With the 2 inch lift, 33's will have more flex room than stuffing 35's underneath. Sure, the 35s will look good on a 2 inch lift, but the room to move isn't as great.

But, basics:
35's will most likely require:

1. New wheels or spacers
2. Lift
a) 2 inch suspension with 1 inch Body Lift
b) 2.5 inch suspension lift
c) 3 inch or greater suspension lift ($$$, but optimal... probably also requires a new set of driveshafts though)
3. Spare Tire mount (not necessary, but good idea to relieve stress on tailgate)
4. New set of gears ($$$, again, may not be necessary, but highly recommended)
5. Speedo calibrator (To make up for difference caused by larger tires)

33's will most likely require

A) New wheels or spacers
B) Suspension lift (2 inches or more)
C) Speedo Calibrator
D) Gears (Less necessary, as if you have the 32's, you're only getting a little larger)

Quick Reply: minimum mods for 35's