Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Military Tires

Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racer83l
Do yourself a favor and read the number next to the "DOT", the last digits are the datethe tire was manufactured, I would be afraid the tires are old and that's why he is trying to offload them on you. There was an article on here about shops selling tires as new yet they were 7 or more years old. Old tires are much more likely to have a blow out.
those are some old school tires anyway... they have been around forever, so I wouldn't doubt it. I think they are bias ply too. In TX you can't legally run Bias on the street tho.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. great info, as always. looks like I'll be heading another route. I thought a set of 36's for $300 was too good to be true, that's why I check here first. He has a ton of those 37's for a 16.5" rim and 40"+ for 20's too.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jeepnyak
Thanks guys. great info, as always. looks like I'll be heading another route. I thought a set of 36's for $300 was too good to be true, that's why I check here first. He has a ton of those 37's for a 16.5" rim and 40"+ for 20's.
that sounds like all military tires to me. what size wheels do you have?
Old 08-07-2009, 03:29 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I am actually one of the few out there that like a narrow tire under a Jeep. Looks more Jeepish to me to have skinny tires. (really not that tall either). but anyway. That said. Those tires are only 9" wide!!! That is too skinny even for me. Where are you going to find a 6.5" wide JK tire? I think if you spend the money on those tires you are gonna be sick when you are replacing them in a couple months and trying to give those things away. I bet that D load rating tire rides way rougher than any E load M/T you can find.

I think you would be better off buying a set of blems, or even used tires over that. If you are completely sold on getting a military tire, why don't you look into some of those humvee tires. I think they are all goodyear MTR and Michelins at least. Just my .02

How much do they cost? You could use a couple as a trailer tire. Trailer wheels come in 6.5" width too.
How would a load "D" tire ride rougher than an "E"?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
How would a load "D" tire ride rougher than an "E"?
just because a tire is not rated to carry as much load does not mean it will ride better. Compound, design, sidewall size, etc. can all come into play to make a tire ride good or bad. Maybe I am wrong, and that tire will ride like silk. But I bet you a KM2 for example rated the same will provide a much better ride. Just my opinion.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 08-07-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
In TX you can't legally run Bias on the street tho.
Huh? Is this really what you meant to say? Sure you can, unless something has changed drastically.

Quick Reply: Military Tires