Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Military Tire - Lots of ??'s

Old 01-25-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military Tire - Lots of ??'s

Found this tire here:
store.coker.com/900-16-firestone-military-ndt.html

I have no idea how to read this tire size, but gather that this tire is for a 16" rim.

Any D.O.T. issues? the description says it needs a tube?

How many miles do you think they would last?

Any thoughts on how they would ride?

Would they be safe at 75-80 mph?

I think it's over to the for sale forum for some 16" rims!
Old 01-25-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um.

Is there a specific reason that you're looking at that tire?

Back when they were standard on military vehicles, guys in the Canadian military referred to them as "Widowmakers".

While they might do OK in mud or dirt, they won't be as good as a modern M/T. They're also quite narrow, and they're going to be atrocious in rain, snow, ice...you name it.

Probably not a great choice for a JK.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by w squared
Um.

Back when they were standard on military vehicles, guys in the Canadian military referred to them as "Widowmakers".

While they might do OK in mud or dirt, they won't be as good as a modern M/T. They're also quite narrow, and they're going to be atrocious in rain, snow, ice...you name it.

Probably not a great choice for a JK.
These are all valid points.
Look at the center of the tread. The solid band is not good or safe for road use.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default tire size

http://store.coker.com/millitary-tires/ found this on the web site that you found the tires on it tells you the size and everything dont think that they are dot approved
Old 01-25-2009, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by w squared
Um.

I love this (retro military) look:

And from what I understand these are custom cut tires and that is something I am not intersted in.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those tires Are only rated for like 45mph. As a historic or nastalgic mod I think it would be great, but if you plan on making this a daily driver then you need to pic another tire.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Those are for WWII willys jeeps. they roll like eggs. The tires on the xenon jeep are the groovable BFG Krawler. Those have not been cut though. They are a 37" tire. There was a set on Ebay a while back. However, they are not DOT approved and cost about $400 each.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:15 PM
JK Jedi

Cop 4x4 built a military inspired jeep or two and used the nitto mud grapplers on black wheels. I thought it looked great under there.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope, they're not for Willys Jeeps. The 900 16 was for the Dodge military Power Wagons such as the M37, M43, and some of the WC series. They are 35" tall. The 650 16 is for the Jeeps. They are actually GREAT tires as long as you're under 50 MPH....but not because the tires will not hold up to faster speeds. The reason they are dangerous at high speeds is because they have a very small contact patch....AND that contact patch is VERY slick. They just are NOT made for highway use. ESPECIALLY wet highways. They actually make a 750 16 in that same tire....and I'm tempted, but ain't no way. Even if they were safe, they are VERY heavy, AND are tube type tires, so, your TPMS is out the window.

Here are the details. They are not 37s, they are 35s. http://store.coker.com/900-16-firest...itary-ndt.html

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 01-25-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jim07x
I love this (retro military) look:

And from what I understand these are custom cut tires and that is something I am not intersted in.
No, they are not. Those are BFG Krawlers. BFG has two versions. That one is ment if you want to cut your own grooves into them. Which is generally what comp guys do. But those tires arent custom or anything. But since they have the Red compound, its very soft, and the street would eat them up in a hurry.

Quick Reply: Military Tire - Lots of ??'s