Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mild 2014 JK Buildup

Old 11-18-2013, 09:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mild 2014 JK Buildup

All,

Just bought a 2014 2 door Sport automatic. It has the Sport S Wheels and tires on it. 3.73 gears and open differentials front and rear. Dana 44 rear, 35 front.

I just ordered a Detroit Truetrac for the rear (along with master install kit and setup bearings). I have read many positive reviews here about the Truetrac and I am glad that I read the JK forum before I made my choice. I was leaning towards a Detroit Locker, but was swayed towards the Truetrac.

I don't plan to run anything bigger than a 33 x 10.50 tires (or 285/70/R17's) on the factory wheels. That's what Four Wheeler magazine says that I can run on the factory wheels without any lift, trimming, or wheel spacers. I don't rock crawl or do any wild mud bogging. I just drive on muddy and snowy roads when I have to. What type of tire do you all recommend for this size/application? I used to run BF Goodrich AT/KO's on my 2000 TJ and l loved them on the road, but not so much off road.

For the front Dana 35, I plan on putting in another Truetrac with Ten Factory chrome-moly shafts. Does anyone have any input/suggestions on this approach? I don't feel like I need a 44 front axle for 33's, but should I do some preventative reinforcement of the 35 housing as a precaution? Again, I'm not an extreme off roader.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Duratracs are probably the best all-terrain tire and a great fit for what you are doing. Trutracs are great. Some may say that having one in the front is not ideal if you live in snowy areas (in which case a selectable locker would be best).

You could reinforce the front housing (you have a dana 30, btw). Sleeves and gussets are what most do. I'd do it for peace of mind. $120 for sleeves and $65 for gussets. A little more if you have to pay someone to weld. Bent housing suck...

Last edited by Invest2m4; 11-19-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, yes it is a Dana 30. My mistake.

Thanks for the input. I've heard a few grumbles about Druatrecs not wearing well in hot climates. I live in Texas, so the pavement gets mighty hot.

Does the axle need to be removed for the sleeve/gusset process? I've never seen it done.

Quick Reply: Mild 2014 JK Buildup