Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MIG, TIG, Stick a pig

Old 09-26-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKred
I've been using the HF POS 180a for a year and a half now. It sucks compared to a Hobart, Lincoln, Miller, etc.... But it was cheap. I've actually been very happy with it for the cost. It feels cheap for sure, but it's paid for itself 5 times over now.

And doesn't put down a half bad bead.
Nice bead-work. I notice a little splatter. Is that with flux or gas?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Beads do like nice. Great job.

That has to be flux.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

MIG is the best bang for your buck but if you get one make sure it around 150AMP or better. You can always make multiple passes to weld thicker metal for reinforcement. Also I would use gas when using bare wire it will make for a lot cleaner looking weld an less splatter.

Sticks good for heavy dirty places like on the trail but if your in a shop get a MIG. TIG is the cleanest an strongest form of welding but unless you practice at it an know what your doing it can be challenging at first to use
Old 09-26-2013, 04:03 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

MIG with gas if want great looking welds,inner shield aka flux core is hard to see the puddle but with practice can produce great welds.Stick can do the same with the right rod
Old 09-26-2013, 08:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Youll find yourself using mig more than anything else. I picked up a Harbor Freight 170A MIG because my Lincoln 110 wouldnt do axle work, and I couldnt be more pleased with the HF. It has a cheap, plastic feel to it, but for the price it does a damn good job.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got to the local welding supply store and get some splatter spray. Before you start Welding give it all a GOOD coat. Use this stuff on your nozzle to. It will make clean up a lot easier.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
Nice bead-work. I notice a little splatter. Is that with flux or gas?
Originally Posted by roscoj
Beads do like nice. Great job.

That has to be flux.
Sorry for never responding. Nope, that's MIG. Haven't been happy with the wire I'm using currently, it's been leaving rather dirty/dusty welds with a little splatter, no matter how much or little gas I use. Strong and no porosity tho. When this spool is done I'll try something else
Old 10-20-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just don't use hf wire. It's awful Lincoln and Hobert is what I run in my mig.

Sent from my Obama phone using JK-Forum
Old 10-20-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Mig for sure.

I wouldn't recommend the HF welder myself. I know a lot of people have, use and like them but the one I had wouldn't feed wire for shit. You had to crank the tensioner to the point the feed wheels were ready to snap off and it would still slip badly. I got it replaced and the replacement did the same exact thing plus it wouldn't maintain a consistent current output.

For the price, I'd recommend scouring craigslist for a decent brand one used and even add a few more $ if needed. You'll get a better unit with better parts availability in the long run. Though, if you only need to do a handful of welds here and there, the HF one will work I just hate to see people waste money on them.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by gillbot
Mig for sure.

I wouldn't recommend the HF welder myself. I know a lot of people have, use and like them but the one I had wouldn't feed wire for shit. You had to crank the tensioner to the point the feed wheels were ready to snap off and it would still slip badly. I got it replaced and the replacement did the same exact thing plus it wouldn't maintain a consistent current output.

For the price, I'd recommend scouring craigslist for a decent brand one used and even add a few more $ if needed. You'll get a better unit with better parts availability in the long run. Though, if you only need to do a handful of welds here and there, the HF one will work I just hate to see people waste money on them.
I agree, the wire feed issues do get annoying but I managed to get it to feed smoothly after some playing.

Looking back I wish I went with the Hobart 190, but, at double the cost of my HF 180 with the amount of work I've done the HF has paid for itself 10 times over. If it does die, I will replace it with something better

Quick Reply: MIG, TIG, Stick a pig