Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MIG, TIG, Stick a pig

Old 09-26-2013, 05:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIG, TIG, Stick a pig

Looking to get a (cheap) welder for doing general repair and minor mods.

Options:

MIG - Pro: Easy, fast, clean welds. Con: Requires clean bare metal, doesn't like breezes.
TIG - Pro: Good for non-ferrous metals. Con: I will only be welding ferrous metals.
Stick - Pro: Deeper penetration, not as sensitive to rust, paint and wind (outdoors) as MIG, cheapest. Con: Ugly welds, more spatter, requires more coordination/talent.

Currently looking at a MIG (will also do flux wire). Is it worth twice the cost of stick welder or is stick welder actually better for gorilla Jeep work?

BTW - Beside tweaking/patching Jeep bumpers, equipment mounts, suspension, exhaust, etc., I will also be repairing rusted boat trailer with this rig.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get a mig you'll be happy.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on the mig
Old 09-26-2013, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mig!
I actually prefer tig for the weld quality and clean up but it takes forever and it's harder to get into tighter places. I find myself reaching for the mig gun more often than not.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wish ppl woulda told me that..... I got a stick....
Old 09-26-2013, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

I got a thermal arc. Does mig ,tig and stick.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jk_Dean
I got a thermal arc. Does mig ,tig and stick.
Yeah, that's the ideal one but he needs a 'cheap' one. What you have is high dollar and way above the type I'm sure he'll need. It's the kind I'd pick though. Not sure how cheap he needs.....under$200? Also depends on how thick he needs to weld. Stick can weld heavy plate whereas MIG is limited to whatever amperage unit you have. The WeldPack 100 from Lincoln is limited to smaller gauge metal so it won't do 3/16 or larger effectively. I'd still go with MIG for his request though, just get at least a 180 amp.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 5150cliff
Yeah, that's the ideal one but he needs a 'cheap' one. What you have is high dollar and way above the type I'm sure he'll need. It's the kind I'd pick though. Not sure how cheap he needs.....under$200? Also depends on how thick he needs to weld. Stick can weld heavy plate whereas MIG is limited to whatever amperage unit you have. The WeldPack 100 from Lincoln is limited to smaller gauge metal so it won't do 3/16 or larger effectively. I'd still go with MIG for his request though, just get at least a 180 amp.
Yeah, cliff. When I say cheap I mean under $200.

I just found a 170 amp (220V/20A) MIG / Flux that might do the trick for $160 (super coupon value, regular $300) at Horror Fright.

No gas bottle or regulator but I can always add that later. Some flux wire included. If it's half as good as the reviews it should do the trick.

Thanks, everyone for the input so far. I'm sure to get comments (horror stories?) on buying tools from Horror Fright. I will let you know how it works out.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I've been using the HF POS 180a for a year and a half now. It sucks compared to a Hobart, Lincoln, Miller, etc.... But it was cheap. I've actually been very happy with it for the cost. It feels cheap for sure, but it's paid for itself 5 times over now.

And doesn't put down a half bad bead.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hobart prices aren't bad. Think I paid around 300 for my mig. Great welder, especially for the price

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Quick Reply: MIG, TIG, Stick a pig