Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Micky Thompson Classic Lock

Old 07-03-2010, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micky Thompson Classic Lock

Haven't posted here in a long time but here goes. I would like to buy these wheels for my 2dr Rubi. I plan on going with either 33x12.50 or 35.1250 depending on which tire I decide on. Problem is.....I am confused on the backspacing to get. The range of backspacing from what I've heard is all different. I want to be able to order these wheels and know they'll work first time. I don't want to have to return anything. If anyone has hands on experience with this, I would really appreciate it. If anyone wants to suggest trying the search button, forget it. Been there, done that without good results. Maybe my illiterate computer skills so let's just bypass the search thing.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

You'll need at least 4.5" to clear everything up front, when you're turning those 12.50" wide tires. I have 4" backspacing on the 15x8" wheels I run, and the outer edge of the wheel lines up with the outer edge of the stock fender flares. So, the tires bulge out a little past the flares, but not an obnoxious amount. Something to consider, if you run 3.75", or less B.S., with a wider (9 or 10") wheel, is your tires being well outside the flares, spraying mud, and rain all over the place, as well as catching the eye of the local authorities.

Seriously, I don't know why anyone would pay money to upgrade to only a 33" tire, when it's fairly easy to lift a little more, and run a 35" tire. The ground clearance, and "look" isn't that much better with a 33", over the stock tire sizes. The wheel wells on the JK were made for big meats, so run some!
Old 07-03-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Yeah, I noticed that some tires that say 35 are not really that tall. I may go with 35's but don't want to have to regear right now. I am asking though specifically about the Micky Thompson Classic Lock wheels. Anyone with experience please help.
Thanks
Barry
Old 07-03-2010, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Still waiting on replies. Credit card in hand but need to order the right thing first. How about you venders? Dave At Northridge. You still on here?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bodo
Still waiting on replies. Credit card in hand but need to order the right thing first. How about you venders? Dave At Northridge. You still on here?
Was wondering about this too?
I saw in your signiture you have the classic locks, What size did you get?
If anyone is running 15 inch classic locks please tell me if they fit our Jk's???

Quick Reply: Micky Thompson Classic Lock