Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mickey Thompson MTZ

Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SouthSideSteve
Its a mud tire, its going to be loud and wear fast. 25k from a mud tire is excellent.
Just stating my opinion on the MTZ's

Explain to me.....
Why my current Mud Terrain tire: TOYO Open Country M/T's that have 43,000km (27,000miles) outlasted my Mickey T's MTZ's and still has 1/2 the tread left???
Just to note both sets are driven in the same conditions and rotated & balanced every 7500km.

From Experience:
The MTZ's are a much louder tire than the Toyo M/T. Also, the Toyo M/T does not flake off rubber chunks from the lugs on gravel roads like the MTZ's and Toyo M/T's are much better wearing M/T that I have owned.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running 35" MTZ and love them. My buddy keeps finding mud pits to try and get me stuck in. So far I have yet to be stuck in the mud, and I have had to pull him out about 5 times. Great tire, low noise compared to some others. The wear seems to be doing really well after 6000 miles. As for off road, having them aired down on the rocks works great. They stick like glue, and have been very durable. Good tire imo.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:03 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by SouthSideSteve
Its a mud tire, its going to be loud and wear fast. 25k from a mud tire is excellent.

The TOYO Open Country M/T's I currently have mounted are just as good in the mud, wear way better 27K miles & still have 1/2 the tread, are much quieter than the MTZ's and don't flake off rubber chunks off the lugs like the MTZ's on gravel roads.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
The TOYO Open Country M/T's I currently have mounted are just as good in the mud, wear way better 27K miles & still have 1/2 the tread, are much quieter than the MTZ's and don't flake off rubber chunks off the lugs like the MTZ's on gravel roads.
I haven't had chunking and they are as noisy as my Stock 32" BFG KM's were. I like the Toyo's but not for around 400 dollars a tire (for 35x12.5xR17). My wear is on par with BFG's I've had in the past (Diff Jeep)
Old 02-09-2008, 04:49 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RubiconOrdie
I haven't had chunking and they are as noisy as my Stock 32" BFG KM's were. I like the Toyo's but not for around 400 dollars a tire (for 35x12.5xR17). My wear is on par with BFG's I've had in the past (Diff Jeep)
The Difference in Price for me between the Toyo's M/T's and MTZ's was $30/tire (35X12.5R18's - $350/tire). I am getting twice the wear over the MTZ's.
If you take your MTZ's on gravel roads this were you are going to see the MTZ's dis-integrate and this is where you will see your Chunking. The comparison is the same between the 2 tires....70% Forestry Roads & 30% pavement.

MTZ's toast at 25K Miles......Toyo's 27K miles and still 1/2 the tread left.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting, I also have been wondering what tire would be good

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompson MTZ