Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mickey Thompson 35" agresive

Old 11-24-2010, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mickey Thompson 35" agresive

I'm looking to buy a 35" tire and wheel package for my new 2011 sahara unlimited (2" or 4" lift). Thinking about Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial Tire (LT305/70R18) 35" 12.20 width ($369.99 each)

Considerations:
- i want an aggressive look.. a step up from all-season.
- needs to be able to handle Boston snow
- it's my daily driver (18 miles each way to work). little to no rock climbing.
- i'd like to keep the road noise down but looks more important.
- i want a wide stance so i need to figure out backspacing the wheel.
- looking for the tire to reach out about 1" beyond the stock sahara fender.

Questions:
- is a 12.5 width tire bad for snow?
- How bad is the road noise for something like this? is is maddening?
- how much backspacing should i get if i want a 12.5" wide tire to stick out 1" beyond the stock sahara fender?

Thanks for any feedback in advance!
John

Given
Old 11-24-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

I looked at them and liked the look also, BUT I took several recommendations and went with Nitto trail grapplers. 35x12.5x17 Mud tires. I love them, very very similar to the MTZ but less dollars. I couldn't find anything bad about them and now that I have had my first drive I am glad I choose them.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 1mhenry
I looked at them and liked the look also, BUT I took several recommendations and went with Nitto trail grapplers. 35x12.5x17 Mud tires. I love them, very very similar to the MTZ but less dollars. I couldn't find anything bad about them and now that I have had my first drive I am glad I choose them.
Thanks, how's the road noise treating you? I found another strong contender where they balance aggressive look with low road noise: The pro comp xterrain

ht tp://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Pro_Comp_Xterrain.htm"]http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Pro_Comp_Xterrain.htm

Last edited by Absolute; 11-24-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: please no direct link to non sponsor sellers
Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've provided some answers below:
Originally Posted by BostonMerlin
I'm looking to buy a 35" tire and wheel package for my new 2011 sahara unlimited (2" or 4" lift). Thinking about Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial Tire (LT305/70R18) 35" 12.20 width ($369.99 each)

Considerations:

Questions:
- is a 12.5 width tire bad for snow? Your Jeep will move through the snow with bald tires.
- How bad is the road noise for something like this? is is maddening? I have the MTZ's on our JK. They are very quiet on the highway - nearly as quiet as the RS-A's that came on it new.
- how much backspacing should i get if i want a 12.5" wide tire to stick out 1" beyond the stock sahara fender? Go with an 8 or 8.5" rim with 4-4.5" of backspacing.

John

Given
Old 11-24-2010, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Considerations:

Questions:
- how much backspacing should i get if i want a 12.5" wide tire to stick out 1" beyond the stock sahara fender?

John
I'm running the new Nitto trail Grapplers. 35 12.50 18 and i love them. If your not wanting noise then don't get a mud terrain. They hum. The trail grapplers, toyos, ect will have a slight hum to them, but some aggressive all terrains will hum also. Duratracs seem to be the cross between the mud terrain and all terrain. You may wanna look into those. I'm more of a mud terrain guy. I liked the Duratracs and was about to drop some coin on them but decided i just wanted a mud terrain. No winter driving in them yet but i'm hoping they will be ok. No mud terrain is great in snow. You just gotta drive with caution. I went around and around 2000 times with what tires i wanted. I'm happy with my decision. My rims i went with XD Monsters 18x9 with 4.5" backspace and i have no rubbing at all. I'm running a 2.5" RC Series II budget boost.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	104867   Click image for larger version

Name:	1103001828.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	104868   Click image for larger version

Name:	1103001826.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	104869   Click image for larger version

Name:	1103001827a.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	104870   Click image for larger version

Name:	1103001828a.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	104871  

Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

I'm running these tires on my 2010 Unlimited Sport. Just hooked this Jeep about 2 weeks ago, and am back into the Jeep thing after a LOOOONG break (last one did Just Empty Each Pocket!). The entire vehicle has less than 9k miles on it, and I LOVE these tires. Not sure of the rim width and offset, haven't had much time to spend with it yet. Road noise is minimal, they are aggressive, and have the typical "wide tire wander" syndrom. I cannot wait to play in the snow (tired of snow, in fact hate it, but the Jeep should make it bearable)!!:
Old 11-24-2010, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Considerations:

Questions:

John

Given
A tire to consider - A local shop quoted me $244 ea. installed (I'm from Boston area as well). I will be going with these myself...hopefully before spring has completely sprung in 011.
This is a 35x12.5-20" rim version - but I'll be sticking with my factory alloys (17's) and a 1.5" spacer.
Good looking tire though! Federal Couragia M/T
Old 11-25-2010, 05:26 AM
JK Super Freak

You have to be careful on this and any forum. People will post up their tires and not really address what you want. The Nittos are loud as hell.
If you want a step up from AT and aggressive looks and snow is a concern... The Goodyear Duratracs sound right for you.
Search the S&T section for a thread full of them.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

and to answer you question about a 12.5 in the snow... well it's not that good. But then again, it depends on the winter you get in Boston...
A wide tire will float on top of the snow. That's ok in deep snow but on an icy winter highway, you don't want that.
I'm running a 13.5 here in Montreal in the summer but it completely sucks in the snow so for winter, I switch to a true winter tire and it's studded.
The Duratrack wasn't available when I got my tires but it would have been my no1 choice...
Old 11-25-2010, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the ATZ's and they are a great tire!

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompson 35" agresive