Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mickey MTZs vs Nitto Trail Grapplers

Old 06-20-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mickey MTZs vs Nitto Trail Grapplers

Sorry for another tire comparison thread but I was looking for some suggestions....

Trying to decide between 33x12.5x17 MTZs and 295/70/17 Trail Grapplers. I already have a TF leveling kit installed. Basically looking for an aggressive look but with good road manners. 70% daily driving and 30% trails. No crazy rock crawlin'. I do have a 50 mile commute now so would like something to last. Trust me I love the look of Baja claws TTC and Mud Grapplers but too much for what I need. Can't do 35s right now. Maybe next set.

BTW...mounting on new Rugged Ridge rims. Love them. Once I get tires, I'll post pics.....

Suggestions or experiences??
Old 06-20-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some told me that the RR wheel don't match some rubber very well so if u want to put beads on later u can't.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We run Mickey MTZs in a 33x12.50x15 w/ black rock vipers on our project TJ.

Other than being a bit pricey; I think it is an awesome tire. I have been pleased both in the mud and on pavement! The tires only have 3k so I can't really speak on the wear.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

A magazine just did an article on mud tires, and the MTZ's and the Trail Grapplers both did pretty well - both in the top 4 rated.

That said, here's my JK with Toyo Open Country MT 295/70/17's and the Teraflex Leveling Kit. I really like that size with that lift. Still allows room for flex, but enough to look beefy.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
A magazine just did an article on mud tires, and the MTZ's and the Trail Grapplers both did pretty well - both in the top 4 rated.

That said, here's my JK with Toyo Open Country MT 295/70/17's and the Teraflex Leveling Kit. I really like that size with that lift. Still allows room for flex, but enough to look beefy.
Very nice. Love that look. Aggressive but not over the top.

I love those Toyos but everyone keeps warning me about their weight/mpg loss.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 PM
JKP
JK Newbie

I have built and sold over 35 JK's in the last 16 months. I have dealt with many tire and wheel options. Given the choice of the goodyears and the nittos, I would choose the Nitto. I have ran both tires. The goodyears handle well on the road and trails and act well in the rain. They are somewhat loud at highway speeds and have a low drone. They are pricey too. The Nitto is a great trail tire. I am currently running those on my current JK. They are aggressive and aren't as loud on the road. They handle great and look good too. I have run the Toyo open country and they "feel" heavy driving down the road and the gas mileage is noticeably lower.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mtz

I have the MTZ and been very happy with them and I wheel in mud,rocks,ect . I don't think their to loud on the road.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oriffx
Sorry for another tire comparison thread but I was looking for some suggestions....

Trying to decide between 33x12.5x17 MTZs and 295/70/17 Trail Grapplers. I already have a TF leveling kit installed. Basically looking for an aggressive look but with good road manners. 70% daily driving and 30% trails. No crazy rock crawlin'. I do have a 50 mile commute now so would like something to last. Trust me I love the look of Baja claws TTC and Mud Grapplers but too much for what I need. Can't do 35s right now. Maybe next set.

BTW...mounting on new Rugged Ridge rims. Love them. Once I get tires, I'll post pics.....

Suggestions or experiences??

love the mtz's.. check out youtube... there is a clip there with them too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep23.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	173775  
Old 06-20-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Both tires are excellent, but the Trail Grapplers will be quieter on pavement than the MTZ's.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran mtz on my old Cherokee and they were a great all around tire. Even in the snow.

Next tire I'm probably going with is the trail grappler.

Quick Reply: Mickey MTZs vs Nitto Trail Grapplers