Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodi
If you get the 2.5" coils and the 3+" it gives you are not enough, you can easily swap them out for the 3.5" coils for about $320 and sell your 2.5's. It just depends on how much weight you have on your bumpers, but you'll definitely get more than 2.5".
I'm very light. I run a PS Brawler lite and no winch and TF tire carrier and MC rear bumper. If I'm going to need a new DS either way I guess I can just run the 3.5 coils, but I'm still thinking the 2.5" would be better and have less steering issues. I just need to decide before they ship my kit.

Last edited by DallasJKU; 03-23-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DallasJKU
I already have a 2.5" AEV but just wondering what kind of worms I'm opening with a 3.5".
I would bite the bullet and get a new driveshaft. I would stay with your AEV 2.5 and just get Metalcloak control arms and ditch the drop brackets. Get flat fenders like Poison Spyder or just cut yours. You can do 37's with the 2.5 lift and flat fenders. There is no reason to ditch your current lift. I have an AEV 4.5 lift with Rock Krawler Arms. Any lift is upgradeable. The 3 inch lift in my opinion, should need a drag link flip kit to eliminate potential bump steer and aid in handling; especially since the lift nets more than 3 inches anyway. If I had to do it again; I would do 2.5 lift with flat fenders. Lower center of gravity and less mods to do.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
I would bite the bullet and get a new driveshaft. I would stay with your AEV 2.5 and just get Metalcloak control arms and ditch the drop brackets. Get flat fenders like Poison Spyder or just cut yours. You can do 37's with the 2.5 lift and flat fenders. There is no reason to ditch your current lift. I have an AEV 4.5 lift with Rock Krawler Arms. Any lift is upgradeable. The 3 inch lift in my opinion, should need a drag link flip kit to eliminate potential bump steer and aid in handling; especially since the lift nets more than 3 inches anyway. If I had to do it again; I would do 2.5 lift with flat fenders. Lower center of gravity and less mods to do.
Part of the reason I'm getting rid of the AEV is I wanted the whole MC lift. And it's easier to sell my AEV as a kit and not pieces. I will go ahead and get a new DS and just have them switch me from a 3.5 down to a 2.5. I want 37's but no guarantee I will get them anytime soon. And I can always get flat fenders later. I just like the idea of a complete kit replacing everything and centering the axles.

Last edited by DallasJKU; 03-23-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

I just want to make sure I get more lift than my AEV 2.5". I don't really like the stance with the 2.5". Looks too squatty to me.

Here's a picture of my 3.5" on 37´s and me standing next to it to give you an idea how tall it looks.

I've gotta hop and pull myself up into it now.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 while crawling over mini trucks.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D3ADLY
Here's a picture of my 3.5" on 37´s and me standing next to it to give you an idea how tall it looks. I've gotta hop and pull myself up into it now. Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 while crawling over mini trucks.
I'm 6'1" and I don't need to hop in mine at current height. I'm mainly concerned with my 10 year old dog. Another 1"+ on lift and another 1"+ on tires might be too much for him. I may just run the MC 2.5" and flat fenders.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'1" and I don't need to hop in mine at current height. I'm mainly concerned with my 10 year old dog. Another 1"+ on lift and another 1"+ on tires might be too much for him. I may just run the MC 2.5" and flat fenders.
I run the 2.5" with Overlines and 37s and it looks good. I wouldn't want another 1".

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4058400798.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	539887
Old 03-23-2014, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

How well are these MC bushings holding up?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I run the 2.5" with Overlines and 37s and it looks good. I wouldn't want another 1".

Attachment 539887
Jeep looks sweet!! I'm thinking the same thing. That extra inch may be too much especially if I get a little more than 3" from the MC. My dog can still make it, but I don't think he will be able to forever. Plus 2.5" with FF and 37's will be plenty.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeep looks sweet!! I'm thinking the same thing. That extra inch may be too much especially if I get a little more than 3" from the MC. My dog can still make it, but I don't think he will be able to forever. Plus 2.5" with FF and 37's will be plenty.
Thanks! While not a good data point, I'll note that I am at exactly 2.5" of lift in the front and about 2.8" in the rear. I have some weight, but nothing crazy. I was expecting over 3". You won't know until they're on, but figured I mention it. The two door coils are still pretty new, so maybe the spring rates are a little too low.

There's enough data points on the 4-door coils though, so you should be able to get a good idea.

I'm all for less lift, so I'm very happy with how the height turned out. You'll have no issues clearing 37s with flat fenders and 2.5". In the off chance you decide you want the extra inch, you can probably get a price cut from MC and sell the 2.5" coils for the same amount and be out nothing. Plus, you won't have to worry about driveline angles as much, etc.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Thanks! While not a good data point, I'll note that I am at exactly 2.5" of lift in the front and about 2.8" in the rear. I have some weight, but nothing crazy. I was expecting over 3". You won't know until they're on, but figured I mention it. The two door coils are still pretty new, so maybe the spring rates are a little too low.

There's enough data points on the 4-door coils though, so you should be able to get a good idea.

I'm all for less lift, so I'm very happy with how the height turned out. You'll have no issues clearing 37s with flat fenders and 2.5". In the off chance you decide you want the extra inch, you can probably get a price cut from MC and sell the 2.5" coils for the same amount and be out nothing. Plus, you won't have to worry about driveline angles as much, etc.
I think I will be going with a new DS anyway just in case. No need to cut corners at this point. With the extra 1" I would be more worried about steering issues.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread