Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n3tfury
He's got a JK. Your avatar shows that you have a JKU. Yours will not go nearly as quick.
Ah, I didn't even think about that.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dalearyous
jack? jack stands?
You'll definitely need those. At least two 6 tons which are taller than the 3(?) tons. You can get them cheap at Harbor Freight. You'll also need a floor jack. Again, you can get one at Harbor Freight.

Originally Posted by DallasJKU
Unless of course you start doing some pretty extreme stuff, then forget it. It's gonna go quick.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Need help deciding!!

Need help deciding!! I am trying to decide between the Rock Krawler X Factor and the Game Changer ARB Edition. Also trying to decide between the 2.5" and 3.5".

I currently have a 2012 JKUR with flat fenders and Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70 17 (or 33.5" tires) and am looking to go to 37" tires. Don't get to do a lot of serious trail riding in NY but am looking to go to CO and UT this July. I have to pull the trigger in the next month.

The Rock Krawler Co. is located near my house so I went and talked to them and they recommended a 2.5" X Factor system. I really like the Metalcloak system but the warranty on the Rock Krawler system is much better. Not sure which lift to go with. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Metalcloak Thread

Originally Posted by DallasJKU
I was talking about front shaft. It is the same with 2/4drs. They now have specific coils for jk and jku.

Rear shaft on the 4dr should be okay. But the front drive train is identical.

I'm not saying you won't get lucky and not have an issue. However, I'd quickly allocate the funds for a replacement shaft ASAP.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snags922
I really like the Metalcloak system but the warranty on the Rock Krawler system is much better. Not sure which lift to go with. Any guidance would be appreciated.
My comment to you is to ask people their actual warranty experience between the two companies. I'm not implying anything, but what is on paper and what happens in practice, are different things. I can't comment in regards to RK, but have seen a handful of interesting threads on the topic (which isn't statistically significant, but just providing context). I can tell you first hand that my experience with MC's customer service is that it is outstanding.

Point is, I don't think you'd be unhappy with service by either and that MC is nothing short of excellent.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Control arms and track bars (the actual arms and bars, not the joints) are the only thing that rock krawler has that has the no question asked warrentee. And those are for bending or breakage. I can't recall anyone actually bending either from any company.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
My comment to you is to ask people their actual warranty experience between the two companies. I'm not implying anything, but what is on paper and what happens in practice, are different things. I can't comment in regards to RK, but have seen a handful of interesting threads on the topic (which isn't statistically significant, but just providing context). I can tell you first hand that my experience with MC's customer service is that it is outstanding.

Point is, I don't think you'd be unhappy with service by either and that MC is nothing short of excellent.
Thanks. That was what I thought.

But I do have some other concerns:
1) RK is sold by a lot more dealers around the country. So, if you have a failed component on a trail somewhere, my guess is that you are a lot more likely to have access to RK replacement parts than MC.

2) How dependable are the Duroflex joints? I like the idea of them being low maintenance. But do they hold up when stressed?

Don't get me wrong! I posted this on the MC thread and I am really leaning toward MC. But it is a big investment and I want to be sure I make the right choice the first time.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Control arms and track bars (the actual arms and bars, not the joints) are the only thing that rock krawler has that has the no question asked warrentee. And those are for bending or breakage. I can't recall anyone actually bending either from any company.
That's good to know. I read through your thread "My Thoughts on Lifts" and I wish I understood this stuff like you do, but unfortunately I don't. BTW - That thread was excellent...confusing at times for someone with my knowledge of suspensions and components...but excellent!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snags922
That's good to know. I read through your thread "My Thoughts on Lifts" and I wish I understood this stuff like you do, but unfortunately I don't. BTW - That thread was excellent...confusing at times for someone with my knowledge of suspensions and components...but excellent!
Dirtman has been testing joints and has had MC joints over the last year on some arms. I'm not up to speed on his thoughts so far, but not many people out there who punish parts like he does. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but my sense is that he has a positive view on the joints (you'll have to ask him). I'll defer to him in terms of comparing and contrasting though, as I really don't have any insight on it.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

http://youtu.be/qN4TpL-LwJQ Here's a test that MC does in shop comparing some of the popular joints.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread