Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgflyer
that was included in the alignment and it was due to my toe being off. With $1000 in tires and the new lift, there was no way I wasn't getting the alignment. I've read that more caster is better than stock, so getting 5° was a success I think.
what driveshaft you running? Any vibrations?
Old 12-21-2013, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
what driveshaft you running? Any vibrations?
stock driveshaft, no vibes. Rides nice.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do have the adjustable upper CA's so they might be able to get me back towards the 4° which I think is stock caster, eyeballing it, I think I was sitting at about 1-2°, but I didn't have any vibs driving home from the shop or to the alignment shop....the alignment shop just called, 2.5° caster lol...extra $100 to adjust the upper CA's to bring caster back to stock.
oh and the toe probably was wacked out when I was centering my axle.
I'm a little shocked that you installed your lift because you really don't know wtf you're doing.

1. Centering your steering takes five minutes using a 15mm socket.
2. Adjusting the track bar has nothing to do with toe in.
3. Get a $10 gauge from Home Depot to set the pinion/caster.
4. Never take a lifted Jeep to any place other than 4wd shop to get work done

Good luck, sounds like you're going to need it.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigMike
I'm a little shocked that you installed your lift because you really don't know wtf you're doing. 1. Centering your steering takes five minutes using a 15mm socket. 2. Adjusting the track bar has nothing to do with toe in. 3. Get a $10 gauge from Home Depot to set the pinion/caster. 4. Never take a lifted Jeep to any place other than 4wd shop to get work done Good luck, sounds like you're going to need it.
well everything you just said was wrong in respect to what was the case with my Jeep. I'll admit that it was the first lift that I installed, but my toe would have still been off if I centered the steering wheel myself. I had limited time left available in the shop and got all that could get done, done. There are no 4x4 shops close to me, so I used an alignment shop and they were able to set the caster in about 20 mins. It probably would have taken me much longer.

I only mentioned the track bar in relation to my toe, because I was moving the Jeep around to center the axle. The toe must have already been out before I installed lift...if my pulling on the frame would not have affected the alignment (the Jeep weight was on the wheels/tires during this process)...not really sure how you think alignments get messed up??? The tooth fairy?

I've seen a lot of assholes on this thread. Tons bashing MC and now you calling me an idiot.

I did a lot of home work, spoke to MC and have quite a few knowledgeable people I work with that gave advise. I even mentioned in this thread weeks ago that this was the 1st lift I was installing...I am a do it myself kind of guy with most things, sometimes you learn the hard way, but so far, things seem to be fine.

If I had said "anyone have advise for centering the steering wheel?" I would have appreciated the 15mm socket suggestion, but don't insult me for finishing up my install at the alignment shop that I would have gone to no matter what and at the advise from MC.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say good job on doing it yourself and there is nothing wrong with taking it an alignment shop, some are better than others but you don't always know that until you have gone. In the end you have your lift installed and seem to be happy with the results.

Its easy to pick out the folks who don't have much going on besides jeeps and this forum, don't deny them their little slice of happiness in the world. Everyone knew nothing at one point and the folks who cling to "I know more than you" are weak minded, let them be.

Enjoy you jeep and your new lift!
Old 12-23-2013, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rsbmg
I say good job on doing it yourself and there is nothing wrong with taking it an alignment shop, some are better than others but you don't always know that until you have gone. In the end you have your lift installed and seem to be happy with the results. Its easy to pick out the folks who don't have much going on besides jeeps and this forum, don't deny them their little slice of happiness in the world. Everyone knew nothing at one point and the folks who cling to "I know more than you" are weak minded, let them be. Enjoy you jeep and your new lift!
Thanks! And I really do appreciate all the advise from guys that know more than me! But I don't need those guys to call me an idiot just to boost their own egos.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

well everything you just said was wrong in respect to what was the case with my Jeep. I'll admit that it was the first lift that I installed, but my toe would have still been off if I centered the steering wheel myself. I had limited time left available in the shop and got all that could get done, done. There are no 4x4 shops close to me, so I used an alignment shop and they were able to set the caster in about 20 mins. It probably would have taken me much longer.

I only mentioned the track bar in relation to my toe, because I was moving the Jeep around to center the axle. The toe must have already been out before I installed lift...if my pulling on the frame would not have affected the alignment (the Jeep weight was on the wheels/tires during this process)...not really sure how you think alignments get messed up??? The tooth fairy?

I've seen a lot of assholes on this thread. Tons bashing MC and now you calling me an idiot.

I did a lot of home work, spoke to MC and have quite a few knowledgeable people I work with that gave advise. I even mentioned in this thread weeks ago that this was the 1st lift I was installing...I am a do it myself kind of guy with most things, sometimes you learn the hard way, but so far, things seem to be fine.

If I had said "anyone have advise for centering the steering wheel?" I would have appreciated the 15mm socket suggestion, but don't insult me for finishing up my install at the alignment shop that I would have gone to no matter what and at the advise from MC.
Yup good job getting it done yourself! I understand where the guy is coming from questioning why you got some things done that are easy jobs. However, he definitely could have said it differently.

The steering wheel is easy to center. The 15mm socket and a large pipe wrench. Only reasons I suggest looking up how to do it, is because it can be finicky and cause the electronic stability control to activate. Heaven forbid bit if your springs sag you might have to play around with it.

I do agree with his belief in avoiding the shop unless you can find an offroad shop or really don't have time. There is actually very little to adjust on the jk.

Hope you have many happy trouble free miles on your lift!
Old 12-23-2013, 07:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with you, cgflyer. I did my install a couple of weeks ago and also had never done one before. There is no better way to learn your jeep than when you're wrenching on it. You should be proud as many people are afraid to attempt something like that. Congrats on it all working out. The experience is always better when the lesson learned is not a bad one, and we all have those. Enjoy your lift.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:24 AM
JK Super Freak

I really didn't want to dredge this back up after 2 days, but I had to just point out a few things before it would be safe to say case closed.

Originally Posted by GJeep
1. Saying this in response to my reply, and not JKred post about the same subject, makes one wonder.
2. This issue is relevant to the discussion about the rear trackbar. Besides, posts which open more options are widespread all over the forum.

3. "so you can praise it everyday" -- that's an erroneous nasty innuendo, which is funny in view of the fact that someone else tied himself very emotionally to the issue. by saying - "I have my own personal vendetta's against FT"...

4. Trying to silence people who's posts you don't like or don't agree with, is plain arrogance.
I did not expand on my "vendetta" comment, but it was posted(added) to point out that I am only looking at the design of the CRC (watt's link) itself from as unbiased of a view as possible, excluding my personal dislikes for the company as a whole, which I have posted on this forum and others, as well as in product comparison videos.... so I guess I should have included that longer decision. To clear up further, I still run quite a few FT components on my rig, some of which have held up beautifully, some of which I have broke. Keep in mind that my opinions of the company as a whole are due to the broken products, and they way/manner in which they handled themselves. That is another thread, that already exists, to which there was never any resolution....

Anyway....

Dirtman, while a stubborn hard ass, almost always dishes out constant tech, and input through experiance. He may not always be right, but he constantly learns, and in turns try's to help the community. He's blunt, don't mistake that for targeting you. You've just placed yourself in the position of opposition and it's turned into a one sided debate from the tech standpoint.

He on multiple occasions stuck to the FACTS of what the CRC link is and what it isn't. All of which were never questioned or commented in return. It may work for you, great, then it is money well spent. But when posed with the FACTS of it's limitations in a discussion about roll geometry and lateral axle retention, this conversation/debate has been pretty one sided.

Happy Holidays Now back to the regularly scheduled MC thread....
Old 12-23-2013, 12:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JKred
I really didn't want to dredge this back up after 2 days, but I had to just point out a few things before it would be safe to say case closed.

I did not expand on my "vendetta" comment, but it was posted(added) to point out that I am only looking at the design of the CRC (watt's link) itself from as unbiased of a view as possible, excluding my personal dislikes for the company as a whole, which I have posted on this forum and others, as well as in product comparison videos.... so I guess I should have included that longer decision. To clear up further, I still run quite a few FT components on my rig, some of which have held up beautifully, some of which I have broke. Keep in mind that my opinions of the company as a whole are due to the broken products, and they way/manner in which they handled themselves. That is another thread, that already exists, to which there was never any resolution....

Anyway....

Dirtman, while a stubborn hard ass, almost always dishes out constant tech, and input through experiance. He may not always be right, but he constantly learns, and in turns try's to help the community. He's blunt, don't mistake that for targeting you. You've just placed yourself in the position of opposition and it's turned into a one sided debate from the tech standpoint.

He on multiple occasions stuck to the FACTS of what the CRC link is and what it isn't. All of which were never questioned or commented in return. It may work for you, great, then it is money well spent. But when posed with the FACTS of it's limitations in a discussion about roll geometry and lateral axle retention, this conversation/debate has been pretty one sided.

Happy Holidays Now back to the regularly scheduled MC thread....

while I talked to the point (and whether one agrees with me or not, is not the issue), the replies included - "Its about time you left" or "You are nothing more then a full traction fanboy trying to justify overspending on a lift" -- to point to just 2 examples out of quite a few more.
That's not "He's blunt, don't mistake that for targeting you".

I expected knowledgeable people to understand I was talking about a principal, and they didn't.
We'll see what happens when CRC patent expires...
This is my last post on this here.

Last edited by GJeep; 12-23-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread