Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, bringing it back to MC. Installed my 2.5" Dual rate ARB edition, pretty much a GC lite on a diet. Install went pretty well minus a stripped nut/bolt. I really didn't mind reusing stock hardware, but it would be nice to get new nuts/bolts with the kit for the off chance you end up with a stock one that just doesn't want to work.

Just dropped the Jeep off at Firestone for an alignment...they were a little concerned about the lift as they said they can only go to stock settings, so we'll see. My guess is they shouldn't have any issues with anything except maybe caster?...my toe was way off and my steering wheel is about 45° off center, which leads me to my question, can that affect my traction control? My traction control light was coming on way more than normal and even stayed on steady for about 10 mins??
Old 12-21-2013, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

Yes, the steering wheel being off will set the light and make it terrible to drive.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2013, 12:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
As per the full traction web site:* Strengthens factory axle housing: it says nothing about differential.
What was so hard to understand the first time?... - it always read 'differential', someone made a mistake when re-editting.

As to your point of the CRC link keeping your axle centered : the sideways movement is zero.: is only true if the whole axle is moving up and down, you still get axle shift if one wheel is up and the other wheel down. Only the top of the axle above the differential where the two rods mount will stay centered.
That's picking again. That tiny movement is way too small to feel, or to detract from the considerable improvement of steering and handling.

My actual experience with it is very different from your guesses by watching videos.

There's no problem with it on the 4" lift and long-travel shocks, at full articulation.
There's no problem with it with the Teraflex - SpeedBump stops.
There was no problem with it when I still had the stock bumpstops.

Now, yes, that was not a full answer to your post, and that was my last reply to you on the subject.

I did say this was a MC thread but you said it was ok to post here since there is a discussion on track bars, or did I miss something? I am responding to what you have said about the CRC link as an interesting alternative to using a track bar. I did find a CRC link thread on this very forum and noticed you have not posted on it. You might want to give it a look since it only has two posts since it was started.

After watching some of the full traction videos it appears that the system needs quite a bit of bump stops and the shocks they run in the video has about two inches of unused travel (stuff) while constantly banging the bump stops and exhaust on what looks like a pretty mild run. I would guess from the video that the up travel is 2"-3" at most.
Bye

Last edited by GJeep; 12-21-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls
Yes, the steering wheel being off will set the light and make it terrible to drive. Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
sweet, hope they figure out how to align a Jeep with a lift then.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:21 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Its funny that your toe in would be off since the lift would not change that by enough to notice. Is your tie rod bent? An alignment shop will use factory numbers to set the alignment and at the factory setting you may get some driveline vibrations but at 2.5" I would not think it would be an issue. The caster will end up being a balance between drivability and drive line vibrations and sometimes you have to play with it to get satisfactory results.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:21 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Bye

Its about time you left.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bye Its about time you left.
Something tells me he will be back.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bye

Its about time you left.
It isn't wise to expose inherent nastiness.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its funny that your toe in would be off since the lift would not change that by enough to notice. Is your tie rod bent? An alignment shop will use factory numbers to set the alignment and at the factory setting you may get some driveline vibrations but at 2.5" I would not think it would be an issue. The caster will end up being a balance between drivability and drive line vibrations and sometimes you have to play with it to get satisfactory results.
I do have the adjustable upper CA's so they might be able to get me back towards the 4° which I think is stock caster, eyeballing it, I think I was sitting at about 1-2°, but I didn't have any vibs driving home from the shop or to the alignment shop....the alignment shop just called, 2.5° caster lol...extra $100 to adjust the upper CA's to bring caster back to stock.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

oh and the toe probably was wacked out when I was centering my axle.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread