Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooo.... Does raising the rear RC 6.5" make that much of a difference? Especially since MC Doesn't do Highsteer kits and front RC.

What's the reasoning ?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:41 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Throw your specs in a 4 link calculator and you will see what the difference is. I would do it for you but I have no idea what your rigs specs are.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob50lx
The 2.5" springs look good. I'll be getting my 2.5" tomorrow. I won't be able to install them for a while. I should sit a little lower than you, I've got the hard top going back on, aftermarket skids, PS Rocker knockers, and OR-Fab sport cage.

How are your drive line angles, and caster?

Rob

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
I'm checking all of the alignment and CA lengths tomorrow. Right now my pinion is at about 2* and the caster is around 5*. Drives fantastic without any wobble, shake, shimming or vibration at any speed. Tracks straight down the road and if I hit the brakes it doesn't pull.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike
I'm checking all of the alignment and CA lengths tomorrow. Right now my pinion is at about 2* and the caster is around 5*. Drives fantastic without any wobble, shake, shimming or vibration at any speed. Tracks straight down the road and if I hit the brakes it doesn't pull.
Do you have aftermarket axles? Stock axles have 6 degrees of separation. At 5* caster, you'd have 1* pinion.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:48 PM
JK Newbie

In regards to the track bar and bracket.....

Take a look at a stock JK track bar at stock height. It's not level to the ground but rather slopes down toward the axle.

When you go up 3.5", the operating angle of the track bar is increased and the roll center height goes unchanged. Once the track bar at the axle is raised 3.5", you're back to "baseline." The track bar is still not level to the ground but the roll center : COG height ratio is very similar to stock.

MC chose that particular bracket height to provide the user with a level track bar at ride height. This allows the least amount of lateral shift during articulation and linear travel, the benefits of which should be obvious to those in this section. That bracket also raises the roll center height above the factory baseline, providing more responsive and flatter cornering on the road and more stability off the road.

Just because everyone else provides a bracket to correspond the roll center height increase with the coil spring height increase doesn't mean going higher is a bad thing. When designing a custom rear suspension that uses a track bar, two of the major common goals are to orient the link flat at ride height and to maximize the roll center height. This isn't an uncommon practice in the world of custom suspensions but seems to be less common in the off-the-shelf market. MC is simply providing the best possible solution.

As for any concerns over clearance, the bends in the track bar clear the diff and the exhaust. Having a solid chromolly adjustable track bar with good ends, bends to clear any possible interference scenario sitting level at ride height with a > stock roll center height is about the best solution one could ask for. I see no room for complaints.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by imped4now

Take a look at a stock JK track bar at stock height. It's not level to the ground but rather slopes down toward the axle.

When you go up 3.5", the operating angle of the track bar is increased and the roll center height goes unchanged. Once the track bar at the axle is raised 3.5", you're back to "baseline." The track bar is still not level to the ground but the roll center : COG height ratio is very similar to stock.

MC chose that particular bracket height to provide the user with a level track bar at ride height. This allows the least amount of lateral shift during articulation and linear travel, the benefits of which should be obvious to those in this section. That bracket also raises the roll center height above the factory baseline, providing more responsive and flatter cornering on the road and more stability off the road.

Just because everyone else provides a bracket to correspond the roll center height increase with the coil spring height increase doesn't mean going higher is a bad thing. When designing a custom rear suspension that uses a track bar, two of the major common goals are to orient the link flat at ride height and to maximize the roll center height. This isn't an uncommon practice in the world of custom suspensions but seems to be less common in the off-the-shelf market. MC is simply providing the best possible solution.

As for any concerns over clearance, the bends in the track bar clear the diff and the exhaust. Having a solid chromolly adjustable track bar with good ends, bends to clear any possible interference scenario sitting level at ride height with a > stock roll center height is about the best solution one could ask for. I see no room for complaints.
Great explanation
Old 12-14-2013, 12:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by imped4now

How would you describe the difference in handling, between the two concepts -- the MC rear track bar/bracket design, and the Full Traction CRC Link ?

Last edited by GJeep; 12-14-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep
How would you describe the difference in handling, between the two concepts -- the MC rear track bar/bracket design, and the Full Traction CRC Link ?
I would speculate the CRC link would be obviously better but I don't know that it would be a phenomenal difference. would it be $600 better? Probably not but it would still be better. I'm giving the link a hard look for potential downsides based on how I personally plan on setting up MY jeep.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsbmg
I would speculate the CRC link would be obviously better but I don't know that it would be a phenomenal difference. would it be $600 better? Probably not but it would still be better. I'm giving the link a hard look for potential downsides based on how I personally plan on setting up MY jeep.
I asked about the difference between the two, out of interest.

I have the CRC Link on a 4-dr, and the difference from the stock track bar is definitely meaningful.
The other mods are typically used only when offroading, or part time, but the much improved steering and handling are the one mod which 'works' whenever I drive, on or off road, day or night. So, for me, this is the best 'mod per money'.
On a 2-dr, the improvement would be bigger, because a 2-dr is influenced more by the side to side movement of the axle.

Last edited by GJeep; 12-14-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rsbmg
Assuming the lower control arms are fairly parallel (not triangulated), the roll center height is defined by the upper links at the axle. On a setup using a track bar, the roll center height is defined by the track bar's location at the axle. Whatever has a higher roll center height in relation to the COG height will theoretically corner better, given all else is the same. That's just basic suspension geometry.

When it comes to what I would actually prefer, I'm not a Watts link fan, nor do I have high regards for Full Traction. Track bars get a bad rap due to fancy marketing by many of the offroad companies but in actuality, a track bar is the most efficient method for managing lateral loads and for defining the roll center height. There is not a better method to do those things. Mounting the track bar level at ride height and as high as possible maximizes the benefits of such a setup. Metalcloak is doing it all right.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread