Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman

The lift has nothing to do with the travel, bump stops and shock length determine the travel of your suspension. Replacing one short arm for another will not do anything for suspension travel over the factory arms. Depending on the joint you may get less bind during max articulation but that is it.

I would bet the 3.5" kit comes with longer travel shocks and more bump stop.

Not a single lift kit out there comes with the correction to regain the factory caster and geometry. You need to have the axle corrected for that, spinning the C and moving all the brackets to get that back.
They use adjustable control arms to allow you to balance the caster and the driveline vibrations that will occur from having the pinion and driveshaft at steep angles. The higher you go the harder it is to balance this.

With the 3.5" lift netting 4"+ a high steer kit would likely be needed to eliminate the bumpsteer you get from improper steering geometry. This will also raise your roll center.
I have to disagree. I have no issues with bump steer and have no high steer kit or any other type of steering correction.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DougC
.... I know it is best to keep the jeep as low as possible....
A low center of gravity is good for road handling and allows going through a bit steeper slopes or side slopes, but it also limits the ground clearance -- not good for offroading.
With a good lift, and the MC is good, and the proper alignment of everything, you shouldn't worry about road behavior. I have 4" lift and the Jeep behaves perfectly.
Less ground clearance ('Break over angle') is a serious drawback for most types of offroading.
.... The MC Lite comes with standard with OME shocks but Bilstein 5100s are an option. I'm not a shock expert so I can't really tell the diffference between them except the color and I don't want to make a shock decision just on that.
OME shocks are much better than Bilstein 5100s, and so are Fox.

Last edited by GJeep; 04-15-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input everyone. I like the idea of more ground clearance in the belly. I traded a 2 dr TJ for the JKUR and I have been worried about getting stuck due to the extra length.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The lift has nothing to do with the travel, bump stops and shock length determine the travel of your suspension.
A shock should never be used as a stop for the travel.
The top limit is the bump stop. The bottom limit is the full stretch of the coil.
The shock travel must be longer than the wheel travel in either direction.
If a shock ends its travel before the coil does, the shock should be replaced with one that has longer travel.
.....I would bet the 3.5" kit comes with longer travel shocks and more bump stop.....
"more bump stop" -- if you mean longer BS -- it would reduce the travel.
.....With the 3.5" lift netting 4"+ a high steer kit would likely be needed to eliminate the bumpsteer you get from improper steering geometry. This will also raise your roll center.
With 4" lift, I have zero bumpsteer, and perfect 'road manners'.
I have a Full Traction lift, and the MC lift certainly "isn't worse".

Last edited by GJeep; 04-15-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

A spring does not stop travel by itself, you need to install limiting straps to truly stop down travel. Most lifts have the shock stopping down travel, just take off the shocks and see how much additional drop you get, especially if you use sway bar disconnects instead of an Antirock or similar sway bar. MetalCloak has stated if not using their shocks, that the OME are a better match for their suspension.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by filthy-Beast
A spring does not stop travel by itself, you need to install limiting straps to truly stop down travel. Most lifts have the shock stopping down travel, just take off the shocks and see how much additional drop you get, especially if you use sway bar disconnects instead of an Antirock or similar sway bar. MetalCloak has stated if not using their shocks, that the OME are a better match for their suspension.
"you need to install limiting straps to truly stop down travel" -- Otherwise, what? -- will it move down forever?... LOL
Limiting straps, my friend, are used for protecting parts from being damaged by too much coil travel. When every relevant part is made for that down travel, there's no need for limiting straps.

Show me a stock Jeep with limiting straps... -- what stops the travel?!
Put it on a lift... what happens if you hang a weight on a wheel? - does it sink more?
It does. The shock wasn't the limit.
People who know NOTHING about suspensions would allow a shock to be a "bump stop".
The rest is as mixed up.
It may be a good idea to study a subject before talking, and not the other way around.

Last edited by GJeep; 04-16-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep
"you need to install limiting straps to truly stop down travel" -- Otherwise, what? -- will it move down forever?... LOL
Limiting straps, my friend, are used for preventing the shock from reaching the end of its travel -- for shocks that don't have enough travel.

Show me a stock Jeep with limiting straps... -- what stops the travel?!
Put it on a lift... what happens if you hang a weight on a wheel? - does it sink more?
It does. The shock wasn't the limit.
People who know NOTHING about suspensions would allow a shock to be a "bump stop".
The rest is as mixed up.
It may be a good idea to study a subject before talking, and not the other way around.
What stops down travel in your setup, I doubt it's your springs as you made it sound, maybe your control arms, your brake lines, your sway bar, your drive shaft? I just put my 2013 JKUR on up on jack stands, disconnected the sway bar and then the shocks, it dropped another 2" inches after the shocks. When I'm off road articulating with one side stuffed and the other dropping I'm not worried about my shocks.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Game Changer Lite

2.5 inch MC GC Lite. Very impressed with the quality of the ride from the lift. Smooth.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:18 PM
JK Newbie

Nice!...more pics wouldn't be a bad thing....hint, hint.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FresnoJK
2.5 inch MC GC Lite. Very impressed with the quality of the ride from the lift. Smooth.
Congrats.

I had just gotten the money together for the 3.5 and 6 packs. Then my appendix decided that it wanted to be removed. So 6 weeks of no work killed that.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread