Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Good info, jna. So a coat of paint over the zinc chromate is just an added bonus and does not affect the rust-resistance of the undercoat, yet provides excellent backup if the paint is chipped?
Yes that will help considerably.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maertz
Trust me a zinc plated part will rust hellafast and a yellowzinc coated part (zinc chromate) will rust aswell. It does last way longer, but will still rust. In most areas its not noticable and will be really noticable in salty areas. I know how theyre processed and the coatings are applied. Powdercoat will rust when it scratched or got holes as you said but the coating itself holds up to salt and stuff better. Also water heaters rods are usually aluminum or magnesium on the outer portion if I recall, but thats not at all my expertise. But all coatings will rust when beat on, best way to avoid that part is go aluminum arms. Even stainless is not the best option when salt is eating at stuff.
Your right, I should of added that the sacrificial part is largely dependent on how thick the plating is. If it is thin it will not take long to get eaten through. Since coating doesn't get eaten it is good as long as it is undamaged.

FWIW: There are some guys I know running uncoated MC arms in southern Ohio (winter salted roads) and they do not show rust (other than where heavily scratched) after two years.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

Good info, jna. So a coat of paint over the zinc chromate is just an added bonus and does not affect the rust-resistance of the undercoat, yet provides excellent backup if the paint is chipped?
Yeppers It gives you a little time to get the arms touched up without being paranoid about the start of rust. (not much time but more than without.)
Old 12-12-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jnabird333
Your right, I should of added that the sacrificial part is largely dependent on how thick the plating is. If it is thin it will not take long to get eaten through. Since coating doesn't get eaten it is good as long as it is undamaged.

FWIW: There are some guys I know running uncoated MC arms in southern Ohio (winter salted roads) and they do not show rust (other than where heavily scratched) after two years.
i dont have there arms, but there rear bracket is a VERY thin coating. Salt is hell on the coatings aswell so thats a big factor. Im from Wisconsin and have dealt with many coated fasteners in various climates.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

i dont have there arms, but there rear bracket is a VERY thin coating. Salt is hell on the coatings aswell so thats a big factor.
That isn't good news... I haven't received my kit yet, all my experience with the MC parts is somewhat second hand. Good thing I plan on painting the parts anyway huh
Old 12-12-2013, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Trust me a zinc plated part will rust hellafast and a yellowzinc coated part (zinc chromate) will rust aswell. It does last way longer, but will still rust. In most areas its not noticable and will be really noticable in salty areas. I know how theyre processed and the coatings are applied. Powdercoat will rust when it scratched or got holes as you said but the coating itself holds up to salt and stuff better. Also water heaters rods are usually aluminum or magnesium on the outer portion if I recall, but thats not at all my expertise. But all coatings will rust when beat on, best way to avoid that part is go aluminum arms. Even stainless is not the best option when salt is eating at stuff.
You guys are wicked smart. So I'm glad my paint adds an extra level of protection which in fact, is better protection than the yellow zinc as long as it is not damaged. A text book case of more is better. Thanks, Maertz.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:59 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jnabird333
That isn't good news... I haven't received my kit yet, all my experience with the MC parts is somewhat second hand. Good thing I plan on painting the parts anyway huh
I would. Once you get it let me know how yours looks, I had planned on painting it either way, but i deffinately remember laughing when i saw the coating.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:04 PM
JK Junkie

i dont have there arms, but there rear bracket is a VERY thin coating. Salt is hell on the coatings aswell so thats a big factor. Im from Wisconsin and have dealt with many coated fasteners in various climates.
In my kit the arms coating was definitely thicker than the bracket.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:06 PM
JK Jedi

In my kit the arms coating was definitely thicker than the bracket.
Thats good thatll help alot.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:19 PM
JK Junkie

Thats good thatll help alot.
The arms were a very consistent gold color while the bracket appeared to be gold and silvery. But I live if FL and didn't really want my suspension to match all the old ladies' dresses.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread