Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mattgt5
UGA black and red is hideous! But I'm biased. Go jackets.
I see. I understand. And what colors do the jackets wear? Lemme guess...black and safety yellow.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I see. I understand. And what colors do the jackets wear? Lemme guess...black and safety yellow.

Correct....lol

side note, your lucky that retaining ring stayed on that bolt...

Last edited by Maertz; 12-12-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
Correct....lol

side note, your lucky that retaining ring stayed on that bolt...
That was my first thought. If it had come off the rig would have been parked until MC sent me a new one. That woulda sucked.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty close to it. Actually navy (or black depending on sport) and gold. So the gold on the arms fit nicely with my navy jk!

sent from my work leash
Old 12-12-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mattgt5
Pretty close to it. Actually navy (or black depending on sport) and gold. So the gold on the arms fit nicely with my navy jk!

sent from my work leash
I read somewhere several months ago that MC suggested if you live in a seaside town, which I do, it is a good idea to add a coat of paint for protection from the salt air. The color was a no-brainer for me. Navy and gold sounds an awful lot like my Mountaineers, as my wife is from WV.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Jedi

I read somewhere several months ago that MC suggested if you live in a seaside town, which I do, it is a good idea to add a coat of paint for protection from the salt air. The color was a no-brainer for me. Navy and gold sounds an awful lot like my Mountaineers, as my wife is from WV.
yeah it appears to just be a cheap yellowzinc coating, wich is better than zinc, but will still rust. I cant believe they dont powdercoat them, hell or at least even paint them.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Junkie

yeah it appears to just be a cheap yellowzinc coating, wich is better than zinc, but will still rust. I cant believe they dont powdercoat them, hell or at least even paint them.
I 100% agree with that! And since they are made to order, a chioce of color would be awesome.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is zinc chromate plating not just yellow tinted zinc. This plating is used on several touch corrosion applications due to it's resistance. Plating is a FAR superior practice for corrosion protection as opposed to powder coat. The slightest pin-hole will allow rust to begin with a coated part where a plated part is dipped and the materials surface itself is chemically altered. Even if there was a scratch or pin-hole the zinc will work as a sacrificial agent and allow the steel to retain its integrity. (this is why hot water tanks have a zinc rod in them).

All this said, I'm not a fan of the look and will likely paint mine.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:46 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jnabird333
It is zinc chromate plating not just yellow tinted zinc. This plating is used on several touch corrosion applications due to it's resistance. Plating is a FAR superior practice for corrosion protection as opposed to powder coat. The slightest pin-hole will allow rust to begin with a coated part where a plated part is dipped and the materials surface itself is chemically altered. Even if there was a scratch or pin-hole the zinc will work as a sacrificial agent and allow the steel to retain its integrity. (this is why hot water tanks have a zinc rod in them).

Trust me a zinc plated part will rust hellafast and a yellowzinc coated part (zinc chromate) will rust aswell. It does last way longer, but will still rust. In most areas its not noticable and will be really noticable in salty areas. I know how theyre processed and the coatings are applied. Powdercoat will rust when it scratched or got holes as you said but the coating itself holds up to salt and stuff better. Also water heaters rods are usually aluminum or magnesium on the outer portion if I recall, but thats not at all my expertise. But all coatings will rust when beat on, best way to avoid that part is go aluminum arms. Even stainless is not the best option when salt is eating at stuff.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jnabird333

Good info, jna. So a coat of paint over the zinc chromate is just an added bonus and does not affect the rust-resistance of the undercoat, yet provides excellent backup if the paint is chipped?

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread