Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to doing my overland front fenders and inner fenders, I did metalcloak front upper and lower control arms and their sway bar disconnects. Just in time because Im going wheeling with my club on Sunday. I cant wait to see how the suspension upgrades workout!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Sounds good, Maertz. So as long as they hit I should be good. Got it. One more week to install. I can't wait.
yeah as long as there making decent contact they will do there job. doesnt have to be perfect by any means. Depending on lift height and uptravel when flexing the bottom bumpstop will be very angled when it hits the upper bumstop doesnt really matter as long as it hits. You would have to be severely off to make them not be able to hit imo.

Last edited by Maertz; 11-28-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike
I could be reading some of these posts wrong. But removing the springs and lining up the bump stops at full compression is basically the length of the stock control arms. It seems that aligning the bump stops at normal riding height and then adjusting the pinion/caster angle makes more sense. I have next to no experience setting up control arms though so please correct me if I'm wrong.
If there the same lengths then it's what it is. At 2.5" they're not going to be too much longer though. more important is the upper settings and pinion/caster angles. Short arms are short arms. I know RK offers a 1" rear stretch, but won't get the benefits of a long arm regardless. Short arms are mainly to correct axle angles, are stronger and tire clearances. The joints will be less restrictive and not bind as much as the stock bushings.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
If there the same lengths then it's what it is. At 2.5" they're not going to be too much longer though. more important is the upper settings and pinion/caster angles. Short arms are short arms. I know RK offers a 1" rear stretch, but won't get the benefits of a long arm regardless. Short arms are mainly to correct axle angles, are stronger and tire clearances. The joints will be less restrictive and not bind as much as the stock bushings.
it may reduce bind but will not limit flex at all just allow them to move more easily. It will save bushing maintenance by becoming hopefully a rod end.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Aren't the MC bumpstops staggered as you add each puck? If so then it would be different than stock length.
Yes, but on the rear bump stops are staggered.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigMike

Yes, but on the rear bump stops are staggered.
The rear stagger too.

Sent from my wiz-bang time killing machine
Old 11-28-2013, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Old 11-28-2013, 06:01 PM
JK Jedi

There still level or levelish on top. When flexing they dont contact flushly. they do when say you baja it real fast and they compress up and down equally. either way not a big deal. the axle move forward/backward when dropping or uptraveling and side to side for say when flexing. theres no perfect set up, although the round or half circle stlye like on hydraulic bumps are nice.

Last edited by Maertz; 11-28-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Anybody have measurements for control arms for the 2.5?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-30-2013, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

This was posted a few pages ago and was a good read. I will probably try to follow as close as I can, although I am only starting with lower fronts so shouldn't be as involved.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/ho...ms-387330.html

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread