Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n3tfury

First of all, why not?

Secondly, how did you win the gift card?
Im not a kit guy id rather build my stuff not buy it... I won it by winning jk of the month on jeep forum.

I will say they make good quality stuff, but ive argued with them on there shock set ups.. Nothing against them at all. They are a new company though also.

Last edited by Maertz; 11-26-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
With the lowers in and coils out, you want the bumpstop to hit the pad right in the center. Uppers are going to set your pinion/caster angles which will be different jeep to jeep. The uppers may not be the same lengths depending on positioning of the mounts from the factory.
Does that mean with a 2 1/2" lift I can shorten the upper control arms to say 18 1/2 instead of 18 3/4 to improve the pinion angle? Or would this affect caster too much? Would everything else still mount up to the existing axle brackets? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maertz
Im not a kit guy id rather build my stuff not buy it... I won it by winning jk of the month on jeep forum.

I will say they make good quality stuff, but ive argued with them on there shock set ups.. Nothing against them at all. They are a new company though also.
Ah, thanks for responding. When you say shock setups are you talking about their six packs? I'm about to order the 2.5 ARB with Old Man Emu shocks.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Does that mean with a 2 1/2" lift I can shorten the upper control arms to say 18 1/2 instead of 18 3/4 to improve the pinion angle? Or would this affect caster too much? Would everything else still mount up to the existing axle brackets? Thanks.
With the front it's a happy balance between caster and pinion. Stock +2 should be ok
Old 11-26-2013, 11:55 AM
JK Junkie

. Stock +2 should be ok
Does that mean stock plus 2 degrees? Isn't stock 4.2? So up to 6.2 degrees is okay? That would be a great help for the pinion angle to compensate for the lift.
Thanks for the response kjeeper.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n3tfury

Ah, thanks for responding. When you say shock setups are you talking about their six packs? I'm about to order the 2.5 ARB with Old Man Emu shocks.
Yes i was. Not sure how they do the emu shocks on there coils.. Depending on the emu shock lengths and how there mounted you could possibly get the same flex as there 6 pack. The argument was in the best lift kit poll.

Last edited by Maertz; 11-26-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Does that mean stock plus 2 degrees? Isn't stock 4.2? So up to 6.2 degrees is okay? That would be a great help for the pinion angle to compensate for the lift. Thanks for the response kjeeper.
Sorry. Set your pinion angle to 2* positive which essentially is stock (4* caster)
You can try running a little less pinion for more caster if running the stock DS. Really depends on the amount of lift you got. Trying for 5* caster with 4" of height puts the DS at a pretty steep angle. Def not happening running a aftermarket double carden DS
Old 11-26-2013, 12:34 PM
JK Junkie

Sorry. Set your pinion angle to 2* positive which essentially is stock (4* caster)
You can try running a little less pinion for more caster if running the stock DS. Really depends on the amount of lift you got. Trying for 5* caster with 4" of height puts the DS at a pretty steep angle. Def not happening running a aftermarket double carden DS
Ok, thanks. Think I got it. I'm getting the 2.5" lift. Am hoping the front stock DS will last for a bit before going to double carden and pr44. So what I have learned so far:

1. Remove shocks and springs.
2. Install LCAs adjusting length to align bumpstops. This should put the axle in the same position as stock in relation to wheel well.
3. Install new shocks and springs.
4. Install UCAs setting length to achieve 4 * of caster (at ride height?).
5. Install trackbar to correct length to recenter the axle.

Good so far?

Last edited by 14Sport; 11-26-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BigMike
They sent the 3.5" springs instead of the 2.5" springs.
So what are the stock numbers for the 2.5 springs? Since mine have already shipped I would like to check them when they arrive.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
those pretty damn accurate and what is needed on most basic suspension lifts. Just a tad longer than stock.
Sorry Maertz I missed this post. Thanks. It wasn't very hard to create a formula to adjust MCs number from 3.5 to 2.5. Only took about 15 minutes to create the spreadsheet. I intend to measure everything after final install to compare for accuracy. I'm running PSC metal bumpers and wheel carrier along with a warn m8000 and smittybilt side armor ( hear they're bad but it was the first thing I bought and didn't know better). I'm trying my best to avoid death wobble.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread