Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I finished installing my front Overland fenders on my jk and I must say I was a bit disappointed when I noticed that upon tightening down the fenders, the rear side plate that sits flush to the body and joins with the top plate of the fender has pulled away from the top plate creating a small gap and of course potentially creating a way for rust to get in there. When I looked under the fender I noticed that the rear mounting plate is really only tack welded in place as opposed to fully welded to the top plate which is why this happened obviously. Other than that they are awesome, but for the price I paid for these, I'm kinda disappointed.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious about the gap you've got if you don't mind posting pics.

My metalcloak stuff doesn't fit 'quite' right either.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TJM12
So I finished installing my front Overland fenders on my jk and I must say I was a bit disappointed when I noticed that upon tightening down the fenders, the rear side plate that sits flush to the body and joins with the top plate of the fender has pulled away from the top plate creating a small gap and of course potentially creating a way for rust to get in there. When I looked under the fender I noticed that the rear mounting plate is really only tack welded in place as opposed to fully welded to the top plate which is why this happened obviously. Other than that they are awesome, but for the price I paid for these, I'm kinda disappointed.
did you call Metal Cloak to see if you did the install correct? I just ordered my Overland flares and will be disappointed if the don't fit as snug as they say they do too!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

I'll post up pics in the morning to show you what I'm talking about, I didn't get any before it got dark. The only thing I might have done wrong was to tighten them too much? But I'm thinking that they should be strong enough to not start pulling apart from over tightening the fasteners. I plan on calling them on Monday to discuss this. I actually had to buy flat black touch up paint to cover the newly exposed steel. I think the remedy would be for Metalcloak to start fully welding the seams on these fenders.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cgflyer
did you call Metal Cloak to see if you did the install correct? I just ordered my Overland flares and will be disappointed if the don't fit as snug as they say they do too!
They do fit well , just be careful to tighten slowly and evenly and not to much. Also be real careful drilling out the holes to the 1/2 inch because the sheet metal is so thin that it tears and the bit actually pulls and bends the thin sheet metal up the bit towards the drill And potentially causing distortions and affecting fitment. I used needle nose pliers to pull off little pieces of sheet metal that the drilling created and a file to smooth out the holes.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

my lift shipped today. order on 10/19.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow..... I helped my buddy install Overlines on his JK and aside from it being a big job to do his Metal Cloak turned out perfect. I am sure if you call them they will take care of you... they are a great group of guys fantastic company.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ordered lift and flares on the 11th, shipped today. Way better than the 2-3 weeks advertised on their site!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Just got a call about my lift today!!! Said Friday I should see it at my doorsteps. Took just over 3 weeks to get to this point.....it'll be worth the wait I'm sure

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-18-2013, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cgflyer
Ordered lift and flares on the 11th, shipped today. Way better than the 2-3 weeks advertised on their site!
Well in 7 more days it will be two weeks. Unless you're getting them tomorrow I wouldn't say that's "way better".

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread