Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dozer311
I recently spoke with metalcloak as I am deciding between the 2.5 and 3.5 as well. He mentioned on a lighter rig expect an additional 1" higher than advertised. So the 2.5 will give 3.5 and so on.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking. I ordered the 2.5 GC yesterday.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
Those BF's are really around a 35 since they run very small. You can still get away with true 37's in a Toyo, Cooper or Nitto and have 1-1.5 inches of more clearance
Yeah - maybe 1/2" additional clearance. Mine measure out to 35.5 - most 37’s that I've measured are somewhere around 36.5" with squish so that only gives you 1/2".

I'll be going with the coopers on the next set though.

Last edited by sea bass; 11-28-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys...Not sure how companies continue to be able to get away with advertising tire sizes that never meet the advertised specs...pretty annoying if you ask me.

Chris
Old 11-29-2016, 09:23 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ravencr
That's all we do is rock crawl. Is metalcloak on this thread to clarify?

Chris
Before we started developing suspension products, we ran Cloak 3 (our 4-door) with just our Overline Fenders (front/rear) and 37" Goodyear MTRs.... and skid plates... It can easily do the Rubicon in that configuration.

Later we added 2" coils and extended the rear control arms (cut and weld job) for testing. Then we got into suspension and put the 3.5" Game-Changer 6Pak kit on it and never looked back. With our Overline Fenders, we could run 40's and the 3.5" lift (there are customers out there with that exact configuration) but that DOES limit uptravel, so we prefer 37's.

Originally Posted by dozer311
I recently spoke with metalcloak as I am deciding between the 2.5 and 3.5 as well. He mentioned on a lighter rig expect an additional 1" higher than advertised. So the 2.5 will give 3.5 and so on.
That's correct, our rated numbers are for a fully loaded Jeep. So a full stock Jeep will measure an inch taller.... 2.5" will be 3.5", etc. But fully loaded with aftermarket bumpers, larger spare tire, winch, skid plates, roll cage, aftermarket steel fenders and rockers, etc... you will sit at the advertised lift height.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matsonian
Before we started developing suspension products, we ran Cloak 3 (our 4-door) with just our Overline Fenders (front/rear) and 37" Goodyear MTRs.... and skid plates... It can easily do the Rubicon in that configuration.

Later we added 2" coils and extended the rear control arms (cut and weld job) for testing. Then we got into suspension and put the 3.5" Game-Changer 6Pak kit on it and never looked back. With our Overline Fenders, we could run 40's and the 3.5" lift (there are customers out there with that exact configuration) but that DOES limit uptravel, so we prefer 37's.
Thanks for the clarification. When you ran just the overline fenders and no lift, can you tell me what your wheel configuration was...specifically backspacing, offset, width, etc?

On a different note, we're planning to buy a 2018 diesel JLU as soon as they come out. Do manufacturers like you receive units ahead of customer delivery schedules to do your design/testing on your new products so aftermarket product delivery corresponds with vehicle delivery dates, by chance? I know it happens in powersports, but I wasn't sure about in the vehicle market. Thanks again for the help,

Chris
Old 11-29-2016, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did my research. I've wasted too much time already... I'm trying to figure out torque specs for my new Game Changer ARB 3.5" lift. Control arms, track bars, sway links, shocks, etc. I'm assuming they are the same as factory specs, but I just want to be sure before I start tearing down my rig.

Also, is the Harbor Freight torque wrench acceptable, or should I go get a better one?
Old 11-29-2016, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cjnomo
Did my research. I've wasted too much time already... I'm trying to figure out torque specs for my new Game Changer ARB 3.5" lift. Control arms, track bars, sway links, shocks, etc. I'm assuming they are the same as factory specs, but I just want to be sure before I start tearing down my rig. Also, is the Harbor Freight torque wrench acceptable, or should I go get a better one?
Yes torque specs are the same because you generally reuse stock hardware.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Yes torque specs are the same because you generally reuse stock hardware.
I picked up a set of new bolts from Northridge 4x4 to get rid of my non-shouldered factory bolts on the control arms.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cjnomo
I picked up a set of new bolts from Northridge 4x4 to get rid of my non-shouldered factory bolts on the control arms.
That doesn't change the torque spec. There's a lot more that goes into it than my oversimplification, but if it's the same size bolt and nut, just use the same torque spec. If you really wanted to go crazy about it, Google is your friend and can look up the suggest torque specs for the new hardware if it is a different grade or has a different thread pitch. Chances are, it's all probably in the noise when you take into consideration everything from grade to coating to thread pitch to torque wrench accuracy. Use factory torque recommendations unless the northridge hardware comes with some specific directions otherwise.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
That doesn't change the torque spec. There's a lot more that goes into it than my oversimplification, but if it's the same size bolt and nut, just use the same torque spec. If you really wanted to go crazy about it, Google is your friend and can look up the suggest torque specs for the new hardware if it is a different grade or has a different thread pitch. Chances are, it's all probably in the noise when you take into consideration everything from grade to coating to thread pitch to torque wrench accuracy. Use factory torque recommendations unless the northridge hardware comes with some specific directions otherwise.
Thank ya!!! Guess I shoulda googled that, but since I had u on the horn, thought I'd just ask.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread