Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by codyzx7
I'll be cutting my stock fenders
As long at you are running 37s the 3.5 will be perfect with cut fenders. The combos that seem to work well off road and look perfect are 3.5", stock fenders and 35s or 3.5", flat fenders and 37s. You will have to add some big bump stops with the 2.5 and 37s even with cut fenders. It will cause you to lose articulation if you run trails.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone run 37" tires with no lift on their JKU with just the metal cloak fenders installed? I seem to remember mc mentioning this could be done.

Chris
Old 11-27-2016, 04:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ravencr
Has anyone run 37" tires with no lift on their JKU with just the metal cloak fenders installed? I seem to remember mc mentioning this could be done.

Chris

There are a number of threads on this and most if not all say if you are just mall crawling or driving on grassy parking lots you can pull it off with some minor metal trimming but any real trails and you have to run at least a small lift with 37s. I am guessing you can pull off a 1.5-2.5" lift and metal cloak fenders and run 37s comfortably. I have seen a number of people running 35s and no lift with metalcloak fenders without issue though.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by phljeeper
There are a number of threads on this and most if not all say if you are just mall crawling or driving on grassy parking lots you can pull it off with some minor metal trimming but any real trails and you have to run at least a small lift with 37s. I am guessing you can pull off a 1.5-2.5" lift and metal cloak fenders and run 37s comfortably. I have seen a number of people running 35s and no lift with metalcloak fenders without issue though.
Interesting...here's what their website says about the Overline Fenders:

MetalCloak's Overline Fenders for the Jeep Wrangler JK and JK Unlimited have no rival in the aftermarket tube fender industry, giving you...
  • The Most Clearance (allowing 37's to run on a stock JK with no lift)
  • Greatest Strength (no chance of getting JK Tub Wrinkle)
  • The Original Fully Removable Flares
  • Optional Replacement Inner Fender Wells
  • Dovetailed Rear Flare & Body Armor Combo
  • Award Winning Lifetime Customer Service
MetalCloak is the original hi clearance bolt on fender system - our goal has always been to provide a true LCG (low center of gravity) experience with your build. The Overline Fender System is the first Hi-Clearance bolt-on fender system for the JK Wrangler.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ravencr
Interesting...here's what their website says about the Overline Fenders: MetalCloak's Overline Fenders for the Jeep Wrangler JK and JK Unlimited have no rival in the aftermarket tube fender industry, giving you...[*]The Most Clearance (allowing 37's to run on a stock JK with no lift)[*]Greatest Strength (no chance of getting JK Tub Wrinkle)[*]The Original Fully Removable Flares[*]Optional Replacement Inner Fender Wells[*]Dovetailed Rear Flare & Body Armor Combo[*]Award Winning Lifetime Customer Service MetalCloak is the original hi clearance bolt on fender system - our goal has always been to provide a true LCG (low center of gravity) experience with your build. The Overline Fender System is the first Hi-Clearance bolt-on fender system for the JK Wrangler.
I'm sure you can run 37s no lift on the road but I would call them before you run that way on trails, especially if you crawl rocks. I can't imagine you would have articulation without at least a small lift or significant cutting or major bump stops killing articulation.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

I just bought the Game Changer ARB. I went 2.5, hope I don't change my mind.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by phljeeper
I'm sure you can run 37s no lift on the road but I would call them before you run that way on trails, especially if you crawl rocks. I can't imagine you would have articulation without at least a small lift or significant cutting or major bump stops killing articulation.
That's all we do is rock crawl. Is metalcloak on this thread to clarify?

Chris
Old 11-28-2016, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have to check some of the many LCOG threads but rock crawling on 37's with no lift will be a challenge. Belly clearance and lack of up travel will be an issue.

I run 37's and the 3.5" with cut fenders as well - does great in the rocks. Running offset wheels (3.5") to clear the 37's help keep the COG close to stock.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3746172103.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	532.9 KB
ID:	661791  
Old 11-28-2016, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sea bass
You'll have to check some of the many LCOG threads but rock crawling on 37's with no lift will be a challenge. Belly clearance and lack of up travel will be an issue. I run 37's and the 3.5" with cut fenders as well - does great in the rocks. Running offset wheels (3.5") to clear the 37's help keep the COG close to stock.
Those BF's are really around a 35 since they run very small. You can still get away with true 37's in a Toyo, Cooper or Nitto and have 1-1.5 inches of more clearance
Old 11-28-2016, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I recently spoke with metalcloak as I am deciding between the 2.5 and 3.5 as well. He mentioned on a lighter rig expect an additional 1" higher than advertised. So the 2.5 will give 3.5 and so on.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread