Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first impressions of everything is really good. The rock rails seem heavy duty and are built up and gusseted on backside. This is a good view of the back side of the rock rails; something I couldn't find on the internet.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	610319

I did spot some differences in what I think are probably the welders are their shop. Some have nice thick beads and others look like they could have used a little more metal in the pool. In the end I doubt it will hurt anything especially considering my intended use but I felt it should be shown. These two pics are the same weld location on the passenger side vs the drivers side.

Name:	IMG_0181.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	610320Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	610321

There were some other variances as well. It's a little hard to spot in the pictures but if you look closely at the same rock rail that had the smaller weld beads you will see a dimple that appears to have a hard crease and another small weld. Its big weld counterpart is smooth with no creases in the transition and a much less pronounced dimple.

Name:	IMG_0183.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	610322Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	610323

As of right now, pre-installation, i'm happy with everything and can't wait to get the install started. I'm a little nervous about the rivnut installation but I should be able to manage. I'll start with the rock rails to get the hang of it before I move to the exo-skin. More pics and thoughts to come later. Let me know if you would like to see pics of anything in particular and i'll get it posted.

Last edited by mwtrent; 05-12-2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Which is why I'm now storing the comments in a Word doc so I just have to copy and paste, haha
The only reason I asked is because I have read numerous threads talking about how the stock bolts ovaled out the stock track bar and lead to death wobble.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasJKU
The only reason I asked is because I have read numerous threads talking about how the stock bolts ovaled out the stock track bar and lead to death wobble.
...due to being improperly torqued.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
...due to being improperly torqued.
Exactly. A 9/16" bolt can oval out a hole as well.

Some people don't use a torque wrench, some use cheap ones or ones that are way out of calibration, and others use poor procedure. Ideally, the torque should be done on the nut, not the boot head. Otherwise, you likely end up with a low torque value.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 AM
JK Junkie

Some people don't use a torque wrench, some use cheap ones or ones that are way out of calibration, and others use poor procedure. Ideally, the torque should be done on the nut, not the boot head. Otherwise, you likely end up with a low torque value.
...and rechecked frequently, especially after wheeling.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xj-boonie
What does fully threaded have to do with providing correct clamping force? Clamping force is only a factor of torque tightened to.
A little bolt science, borrowed from another site because I am too lazy to expand on the topic. Point 2 and 3 are most relevant. Fully threaded bolts stretch more and different grades stretch a different amount. Torque is not a 1 to 1 relationship with clamp force. Also, bolts designed by auto manufacturers are designed together with the nut as there are specific tolerances between the two.

If you want more information, a good place to start is the basic tutorial from A Tutorial on the Basics of Bolted Joints. For our purposes we must understand that:

-Technically speaking, SAE (i.e. automotive) fasteners (bolts or studs, and nuts) in a bolted joint are not designed to carry a shear load. They are designed to clamp the 2 parts together, so that the friction between them carries the load - or at least the majority of it. In reality - SAE fasteners do do this but also usually carry some load in shear.

-That in order to carry out their duty as "clamps", they must deform (stretch) a fairly precise amount upon installation / tightening so that the resulting force that tries to return the fastener to its original length achieves the clamping force. The most common and easiest way of approximately measuring this stretch (and thereby being assured that the proper clamping force is achieved) is by measuring the torque with which the fastener is tightened in the assembly, as this has a direct, mathematical relationship to the amount of stretch.

-Fasteners of differing "grades", materials, and construction methods (hardening, tempering etc.) have vastly different strengths, ranging from SA grade 1 bolts with a yield strength of 36,000 psi to SAE grade 8 bolts with a yield strength of 130,000 psi. This directly affects the maximum stretch that they can endure without permanently deforming, and therefore the amount of clamping force they can develop. We see this as different maximum torque values for different bolts. Hopefully , we now see this as not just "how tight do I have to do it up", but rather, "when I tighten this fastener, how much clamping force can I develop"

-And finally, because of fastener preload (explained well in the Bolt Science tutorial) a properly tightened fastener is vastly stronger than a loose sloppy one.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why does bolt head vs nut make a difference?
Old 05-13-2015, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Some install pics. It will be done sometime tomorrow.

Name:	image-2465487406.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	610567

Name:	image-1359244690.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	610568

Last edited by DallasJKU; 05-13-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DallasJKU
Some install pics. It will be done sometime tomorrow.

Attachment 610567

Attachment 610568
Coming along. Did you install all 4" of bump?
Old 05-13-2015, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Coming along. Did you install all 4" of bump?
The shop did install all of it and will adjust as necessary.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread