Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the NR4x4 bolt kit be used with the MC front TB?? I thought I read somewhere a year or two ago that the bolts in the kit won't work.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DallasJKU
Can the NR4x4 bolt kit be used with the MC front TB?? I thought I read somewhere a year or two ago that the bolts in the kit won't work.
They don't work with the control arms I can tell you that. If you have a newer model it may be the 12mm bolts you use or something like that. The silver bolts that come in the kit is all I know.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
They don't work with the control arms I can tell you that. If you have a newer model it may be the 12mm bolts you use or something like that. The silver bolts that come in the kit is all I know.
So it's just best to use the stock bolts all around??
Old 05-11-2015, 11:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DallasJKU

So it's just best to use the stock bolts all around??
I've only install the silver bolts in my buddies stock tracbar on his 14 Sahara. It seemed to fit a little better. What year do you have again?
Old 05-11-2015, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a '15 and talked to MC and they said just use stock bolts.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock bolts are the correct size for the bracket holes. They are also fully threaded, which provides for a correct clamping force. Think about it this way, ever seen a correctly installed high steer arm that didn't use a fully threaded stud?

Unless your stock bolts are trash, then stick with them.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:39 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
The stock bolts are the correct size for the bracket holes. They are also fully threaded, which provides for a correct clamping force. Think about it this way, ever seen a correctly installed high steer arm that didn't use a fully threaded stud?

Unless your stock bolts are trash, then stick with them.
Lol can only preach this so many times huh?
Old 05-11-2015, 03:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
Lol can only preach this so many times huh?
Which is why I'm now storing the comments in a Word doc so I just have to copy and paste, haha
Old 05-11-2015, 09:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
The stock bolts are the correct size for the bracket holes. They are also fully threaded, which provides for a correct clamping force. Think about it this way, ever seen a correctly installed high steer arm that didn't use a fully threaded stud? Unless your stock bolts are trash, then stick with them.
What does fully threaded have to do with providing correct clamping force? Clamping force is only a factor of torque tightened to.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Overland Rocker rails, flip steps and rocker exo skin

I'm going to start this with saying i'm currently just starting my long journey building up an expedition style Jeep JK. I haven't done much to my JKUR yet except a Teraflex puck style leveling kit (2" front/1" rear) and various other things to either protect it, prevent corrosion or personalize it. About a month ago while searching the interweb for big tire/low lift options I came across the Metalcloak Overland series and instantly knew that's what I wanted so I placed an order on 4/30 and 5/02 to take advantage of the free shipping deal (thanks again Metalcloak for making the multiple orders work). Though I was told to expect a lead time of 4-7 weeks combined for all of the parts I received shipping notification on 5/4 and it arrived today (5/11).

When doing my research I couldn't find very much info on the parts themselves so I thought I would share my experience with them as I got things in and more later as I start bolting things to the Jeep. Disclaimer: I am by no means, an expert on all things Jeep. I'm figuring things out as I go along and doing what I can to learn from everyone here on JKForum. Take what I say at your own risk; do your research and make as much of an informed decision as you possibly can.

Let's start with packaging. I have read that they do a good job with packaging but I was still a bit concerned with them being shipped all the way to the East Coast. Apparently some of my concerns were warranted. Shipping carrier was UPS and all of the boxes looked as though they'd been to hell and back. This one had me particularly concerned.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	610308

Thankfully they do a fairly good job of cocooning all of the parts in layers of bubble wrap and foam padding followed by copious amounts of packing tape.

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	610309

I say fairly good job because there were a few ends that were sticking out of the wrapping. Once the wrapped parts were put into the boxes the ends were filled with more bubble wrap so even the exposed bits were still protected.

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	610310

After unboxing everything I was only able to find one tiny spot that needed some touchup and it was not damaged during shipping as it was fully covered.

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	610311

I didn't think that was too bad given how much of it was unscathed. Top - down. Tough stuff rocker guard gasket, rocker exo-skins and hardware, drivers side rocker rail, flip step, flip step and finally the passengers side rock rail. In case you're unfamiliar with the flip step it's a step that you are able to mount t0 the rock rail in a low easy step or high clearance step position.

Name:	IMG_0180.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	610318

Last edited by mwtrent; 05-12-2015 at 12:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread