Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shin0bi1
Hey all just wanted to share with fellow jeepers. I am somewhat new to off-roading but wanted to share my experiences with metal cloak products. I have their Front LCA and tie rod only on my '12 JKUR. I know you guys are complaining about the zinc finish but if you lived in Chicago especially last year with the polar vortex, you would appreciate this finish. My entire jeep underneath shows rust, my tailgate is rusty, shit even the light pillar mounts and the fog light bolts are all rusty. The only thing not rusty are my tie rod and the front LCAs! After 2-3 winters they still look brand new when wiped down. I am also a stock rubicon with $150 lift (teraflex hockey pucks) and have done amazing things despite my mod limitations. I really believe the control arms really helped me get the most out of my near stock setup. I have a quick question if their is up and down play on the tie rod does that mean the tie rod ends are going bad? These tie rod ends are greedy when comes to greasing btw I have to squirt like 2-3 pulls on the grease gun where my other greaseable ends are only one pull. I like a setup that can do dirt roads and washboards fast. I don't do any rock crawling so I am more of trail runner, do you guys recommend their springs for my needs? One last thing, I installed a synergy sector shaft/brace kit with their front track bar. This made a huge enormous difference in my handling and road feedback. The sector shaft kit coupled with an Artec truss kit makes the jeep feel really solid on the road. My kit came with bolts that are tapered in the holes so they do not stick out. I had seen earlier versions and people having their springs rub on the bolts of the brace. What I am thinking of getting is getting teraflex springs with their fox remote reservoir tuned shock setup and get metalcloak control arms for my needs. What do you guys think of this setup?
I think you should should stay at stock height if you really don't need the wheel travel doing dirt roads. I also don't think you really got any benefit from swapping the control arms.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question on bump stop length. Ordered a MC Game Changer ARB 3.5" kit.

2012 JKU Sahara - running a trussed front D44. JCR skids, Ace Flat Fenders, mid width front and synthetic winch, softtop, full spare, 10A rock rails, ATX Slabs with 3.5" BS w/ 37x12.50 Nitto Trail MTs. Debating 2" or 3" bumpstops.

Hoping I can go 2" and my tires and flares are limiting factor, but wondering if anyone is having issues with shock travel with a 2"?
Old 02-03-2015, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rays0852
Question on bump stop length. Ordered a MC Game Changer ARB 3.5" kit.

2012 JKU Sahara - running a trussed front D44. JCR skids, Ace Flat Fenders, mid width front and synthetic winch, softtop, full spare, 10A rock rails, ATX Slabs with 3.5" BS w/ 37x12.50 Nitto Trail MTs. Debating 2" or 3" bumpstops.

Hoping I can go 2" and my tires and flares are limiting factor, but wondering if anyone is having issues with shock travel with a 2"?
I've got the 2.5 Gamechanger ARB with 35s and cut fenders. I run 2 inches without any trouble. I'm not sure where your fenders sit for the extra inch of tire though. You could try flexing it with 2" then if it rubs, add another puck.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

More concerned with the shock limitations than a little bit of fender rubbing. I'll probably start with a 3" and flex it all out and see if a 2" might work. Wondering if anyone has the same setup - 37s, flat fenders, and 3.5 ARB that can give me some insight.

Last edited by rays0852; 02-03-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

More concerned with the shock limitations than a little bit of fender rubbing. I'll probably start with a 3" and flex it all out and see if a 2" might work. Wondering if anyone has the same setup - 37s, flat fenders, and 3.5 ARB that can give me some insight.
You will likely be okay with 2" of bump. Check out my shock travel post a few back. I run Bilstein 5160s (very similar travel) with 2" of bump and I have even have EVO rock stars that raise the rear shock mounts up.

Edit to add: the biggest issue with 2" bump in the front is at full turn and stuff. You will have front grill and rear tire frame rub even with 3.5" BS wheels.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi

I ran 37" with PSC crusher flares, 3.5" game changer with 6 paks, 2" bump stop. My wheels were at 3.7" back space. I barely rubbed my flares at full stuff. Had no rubbing issues anywhere else. I also had a 3/4" spacer on all 4 coils.

sent from my work leash
Old 02-03-2015, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

Thanks fellas. I saw your post a while back about the shock travel lengths. Thanks for that. So it seems like I should be OK. I'll just be real careful with the 2" bumps as I flex it and check shocks, tires, could and bump stops, and drive lines to make sure every thing looks good.

One more thing. Heard some guys having trouble with rear stock DS rubbing gas tank.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

I run that lift with 37's and 2" bumpstops. I even put mc rear shock relocations in the back - I think they're pretty close to bottoming out from what I can measure. Did the nemises front relocation brackets too (which I highly recommend)

My tires are a little undersized (km2's) and I do need to trim the rear pinch seam slightly. Tires to rub on grill and bumper at full stuff if I'm turned sharp but it's not too bad. I'm running 3.5 backspace.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:37 PM
JK Freak

I'm running 2" bump stops with a true to size 37 and it rubs a little at full stuff and close to full turn in the front.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Hi guys,
2014 JKUR, MC 2.5 G-C ARB, Nemesis Front Shock Relocation Brackets, 35" BFG KM2's on Raceline RT-232-AL Monsters. I ve got about 5mo and 9,000 miles on my lift. My front passenger spring is bowed. What do you think? Is this okay or is it a problem?

PASSENGER angle 1

PASSENGER angle 2

DRIVER

Last edited by doubletapdaddy; 02-08-2015 at 07:49 AM. Reason: changed "shock" to "spring"

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread