Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at northridge over the weekend and they had an ome, fox w/res, and 5100 all on the shelf for display. The difference in compression between these 3 were night and day. OME were effortless to compress - fox were somewhere in the middle - 5100 were extremely difficult to compress. I would not want 5100’s under my jeep. I did have them on my dodge cummins turbo diesel and they were great but it was close to 7k lbs.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:52 AM
JK Freak

The OME shocks have the best travel I've found for a monotube shock. I run 5160s (because I won them). They are the only shock that I have found that exceeds the OME travel without having to run 3" of bump.

I also run 5100s on my 2-door. (I purchases it with them)

There is no doubt that they are firm, However the main purpose of a shock is to keep the tire on the ground and finding traction. Some soft shocks are "lazy" at doing this. It's a trade off choosigng a firm or soft shock. One of the reasons I like the Rancho RS9000XL is thay are adjustable and fairly priced.

I am fairly satisfied with the 5160s on my 4-door, but wouldn't have purchased them if I was paying for them. I can't wait to get the 5100s off my 2-door and I will likely go with the OMEs.

Some may find this helpfull, I have posted it before but I have added some more now:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shocks.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	586551
Old 12-03-2014, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69mach1
I can easily say you are quite mistaken with that comment I was running a 3" Teraflex spring lift, Bilstein 5100's with Currie JJ Control arms (not long arm) and was really pleased with the ON ROAD RIDE and the OFF ROAD ARTICULATION, but running a wash board dirt road meant you better air down or you are going to beat yourself siilly I changed out the Currrie Control arms for MetalCloak Control arms and the difference in off road ride is very apparent No more airing down necessary on a wash board road, is it a Cadillac? No. But it is way closer with the MetalCloak Control arms. So I say a big "YES!" "you can tell a difference off road between the MetalCloak suspension vs any other short arm out there" Also both MetalCloak and Currie control arms are going to articulate more(w/o being destroyed) and easier than the factory control arms due to the fact the bushings are not fused to both the inner and outer bushing housing. Yes the shock length will be "part" of the limiting factor for articulation distance (sway bar, sway bar links, track bar, springs, brake lines, drive shafts, shocks, tire diameter, must all be factored in as to how much articulation one can have) Personally I enjoy true 4 wheeling (4 tires on the ground articulating like a made man) as compared to 3 tires or even 2 tires on the ground

Not working on a flame here just stating fact. I have personally experienced it and know I'm not alone

That tennis ball is a good idea!
Old 12-03-2014, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylarsJK
Is anyone here running Rancho RS9000 shocks with their Metalcloak springs? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of shocks but just wanted to hear some personal experience from some folks
These are the shocks I plan on getting once I have some disposable cash. My stock springs were also in pretty good shape, so I'm not really in a rush.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jnabird333
The OME shocks have the best travel I've found for a monotube shock. I run 5160s (because I won them). They are the only shock that I have found that exceeds the OME travel without having to run 3" of bump.

I also run 5100s on my 2-door. (I purchases it with them)

There is no doubt that they are firm, However the main purpose of a shock is to keep the tire on the ground and finding traction. Some soft shocks are "lazy" at doing this. It's a trade off choosigng a firm or soft shock. One of the reasons I like the Rancho RS9000XL is thay are adjustable and fairly priced.

I am fairly satisfied with the 5160s on my 4-door, but wouldn't have purchased them if I was paying for them. I can't wait to get the 5100s off my 2-door and I will likely go with the OMEs.

Some may find this helpfull, I have posted it before but I have added some more now:
Attachment 586551
Great information and a Great Chart! Thanks for sharing! As a note, we have always had a philosophy of Soft Shock / Stiff Coil, hence the OME. For those that don't want to run the OME, we recommend the BDS Variant of the Fox 2.0. The valving is similar enough to the OME and the 6Pak to have a great synergy with our True Dual Rate coils.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matsonian
Great information and a Great Chart! Thanks for sharing! As a note, we have always had a philosophy of Soft Shock / Stiff Coil, hence the OME. For those that don't want to run the OME, we recommend the BDS Variant of the Fox 2.0. The valving is similar enough to the OME and the 6Pak to have a great synergy with our True Dual Rate coils.
I took your advice and went with the Fox/BDS shocks and I think my Jk rides better than it did stock. It is very smooth over normal daily bumps in the road. Extremely happy with the whole package!
Old 12-06-2014, 03:09 PM
JK Freak

The OME's were definitely a good choice. Rough country shocks were way past blown.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2284289672.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	587058
Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone run a sector shaft brace without clearance issues other then the RSP unit? I'm running the 3.5" GC ARB.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sjd78
Anyone run a sector shaft brace without clearance issues other then the RSP unit? I'm running the 3.5" GC ARB.
no issues with synergy, but I seem to be the only one.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Hey all just wanted to share with fellow jeepers. I am somewhat new to off-roading but wanted to share my experiences with metal cloak products. I have their Front LCA and tie rod only on my '12 JKUR. I know you guys are complaining about the zinc finish but if you lived in Chicago especially last year with the polar vortex, you would appreciate this finish. My entire jeep underneath shows rust, my tailgate is rusty, shit even the light pillar mounts and the fog light bolts are all rusty. The only thing not rusty are my tie rod and the front LCAs! After 2-3 winters they still look brand new when wiped down. I am also a stock rubicon with $150 lift (teraflex hockey pucks) and have done amazing things despite my mod limitations. I really believe the control arms really helped me get the most out of my near stock setup. I have a quick question if their is up and down play on the tie rod does that mean the tie rod ends are going bad? These tie rod ends are greedy when comes to greasing btw I have to squirt like 2-3 pulls on the grease gun where my other greaseable ends are only one pull. I like a setup that can do dirt roads and washboards fast. I don't do any rock crawling so I am more of trail runner, do you guys recommend their springs for my needs? One last thing, I installed a synergy sector shaft/brace kit with their front track bar. This made a huge enormous difference in my handling and road feedback. The sector shaft kit coupled with an Artec truss kit makes the jeep feel really solid on the road. My kit came with bolts that are tapered in the holes so they do not stick out. I had seen earlier versions and people having their springs rub on the bolts of the brace. What I am thinking of getting is getting teraflex springs with their fox remote reservoir tuned shock setup and get metalcloak control arms for my needs. What do you guys think of this setup?

Last edited by shin0bi1; 01-22-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread