Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GJeep
My next mod is the Anti-Sway Bar. The Currie AntiRock is a serious candidate.
I may replace to Metal Cloak lift & shocks in the future, and wonder about the combination of MC and the AntiRock.

Does anyone have this combination? How is it on/off road ?
In considering it in the rear. The stock sway bar and stock muffler contact a bit on the trail. I ordered a new exhaust system and if that doesn't fix it the anti rock will be where I turn.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattgt5
In considering it in the rear. The stock sway bar and stock muffler contact a bit on the trail. I ordered a new exhaust system and if that doesn't fix it the anti rock will be where I turn.
The rear anti-sway bar is more important than the front one. I drove daily, for months, with the front anti-sway bar disconnected. Besides some more banking when cornering, there was no control issue.
I wouldn't do it with the rear SB.
Replacing the rear SB with the AntiRock means making it softer, which I wouldn't do if the front SB is the harder stock SB -- you may have a handling problem in emergency maneuvers.

Does anyone use Metal Cloak lift and 6Pak shocks with the Currie AntiRock front sway bar, or both front and rear AntiRock front sway bars? How is the handling on & off road?

Last edited by GJeep; 07-06-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GJeep.....

If the rear is far superior and more important for driving than the front then why is the front one so much thicker? I usually don't pull the BS flag but let's not scribe anything as internet truth without there being some solid facts behind it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-06-2013, 02:34 PM
JK Super Freak

The rear anti-sway bar is more important than the front one. I drove daily, for months, with the front anti-sway bar disconnected. Besides some more banking when cornering, there was no control issue.
This is contrary to just about every thing out there on anti sway bars.

That said, I've run without both, just the front, just the rear. Missing rear and never looked back. Missing front was a huge hit to handling.

Broke my rear A-SB in middle of Montana, pulled it off in a rainstorm in the Walmart parking lot, never put it back, didn't miss it.

When I upgraded from stock to an addco on the front, I drove without and it was WAY boaty!!!!

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

Amen to thee "Internet truth." It will get ya into so much trouble if blind to it.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:59 PM
JK Junkie

Without going down to 'BS' type of language, I'll just say this:
Try doing some emergency maneuvers with the rear anti-sway bar disconnected.

After trying emergency maneuvers with the front anti-sway bar disconnected, I can say that it isn't THAT important. There was some more banking, but no control problem.
Now, If the rear anti-sway bar is even less important, why don't you remove it to increase articulation?...
Old 07-06-2013, 03:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Now, If the rear anti-sway bar is even less important, why don't you remove it to increase articulation?...
The rear is about as big around as my pinkie and quite flexible. It does not limit your axle articulation. The front being much larger (stiffer) does resist tortional rotation and DOES limit your axle articulation. That is why the rear doesn't really matter as far as disconnecting.

Caveat: I was running stiffer springs and shocks when I dumped my rear A-SB. This is why *I* didn't miss the rear. Front was a different story.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:34 PM
JK Junkie

Without going down to 'BS' type of language, I'll just say this:
Try doing some emergency maneuvers with the rear anti-sway bar disconnected.

After trying emergency maneuvers with the front anti-sway bar disconnected, I can say that it isn't THAT important. There was some more banking, but no control problem.
You nailed it- it doesn't limit much which is why they aren't disconnected.

I'll let you have your fame but would encourage people to do their own research on the effectiveness of sway bars (front and rear) before electing to run without one based on one person's opinion.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-756113336.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	475477
I've had Metal Cloak lift for 2 years.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by karls
You nailed it- it doesn't limit much which is why they aren't disconnected.

I'll let you have your fame but would encourage people to do their own research on the effectiveness of sway bars (front and rear) before electing to run without one based on one person's opinion.

Well, karls and the others who "jumped" on me :

Yes, the rear SB is softer.
When cornering, more pressure is applied to the front coil and less to the rear one, hence the difference between the anti-sway bars.

The basic difference between disconnecting the front SB or the rear SB is that the front
wheels can be steered while the rear wheels can not.
Without the rear SB, the Jeep tends to oversteer too much. An emergency evasive maneuver may throw the tail out, without having enough time/distance to correct.

....."....would encourage people to do their own research on the effectiveness of sway bars"

I did better than read about it -- I tried it.

With no front SB, the Jeep behaved a bit like an old, large and heavy American car -- it dropped the front corner more, needed some more steering correction, but was far from losing control.

With no rear SB, in an emergency evasive maneuver, there was excessive oversteer -- which may cause an accident.
It is a real safety issue with an unloaded Jeep, and more so with added weight at the rear and/or a slippery road.

Last edited by GJeep; 07-07-2013 at 03:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread