Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^ Yep, that is how and where you measure the lift hight.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love the setup and love the ride of the 3.5" GC ARB. i also love my MC front bumper. the MC rear bumper/tire carrier has been a royal pain to dial in the perfect alignment so the tailgate opens and closes as smoothly as they show it does. it seems when i get it to open and close perfectly the latch doesn't lock all the way. when i make my adjustments and get the latch just right i found the bottom of the gate scraping the bottom of the plate below the latch. i'll get it eventually.

front stance
front shot
winch guard on
rear
for some stupid reason, the shop mounted the tire not on the plate. one of the first things i corrected. i then added the tow hitch and a d-ring for the rear:
tow
MC bumper in parts (i have re-assembled it twice)
MC rear parts
Old 08-25-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dalearyous
love the setup and love the ride of the 3.5" GC ARB. i also love my MC front bumper. the MC rear bumper/tire carrier has been a royal pain to dial in the perfect alignment so the tailgate opens and closes as smoothly as they show it does. it seems when i get it to open and close perfectly the latch doesn't lock all the way. when i make my adjustments and get the latch just right i found the bottom of the gate scraping the bottom of the plate below the latch. i'll get it eventually.

front stance
front shot
winch guard on
rear
for some stupid reason, the shop mounted the tire not on the plate. one of the first things i corrected. i then added the tow hitch and a d-ring for the rear:
tow
MC bumper in parts (i have re-assembled it twice)
MC rear parts
Too funny, I was about to contact mc about this same issue. The tire carrier has been a pain to get dialed in for me as well. Let me know what you found to work the best. I went on the trail last week and when I got to my campsite I had to use a screwdriver to pry open the gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2014, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgregg108

Too funny, I was about to contact mc about this same issue. The tire carrier has been a pain to get dialed in for me as well. Let me know what you found to work the best. I went on the trail last week and when I got to my campsite I had to use a screwdriver to pry open the gate.
You probably put the bearing races in the wrong way. I put them in upside down the first time and the arm had a lot of play in it. The second time I got new bearings and put the outer bearing (the bigger one) in the hole first and slid the inside race in while I was mounting the arm on the bumper. It works fine now. I think the latch takes a while to break in too.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
You probably put the bearing races in the wrong way. I put them in upside down the first time and the arm had a lot of play in it. The second time I got new bearings and put the outer bearing (the bigger one) in the hole first and slid the inside race in while I was mounting the arm on the bumper. It works fine now. I think the latch takes a while to break in too.
I think I installed the bearings right, I put the outer race in first then the inner race as I installed the arm. I didn't think they would fit a different way the arm itself is solid and doesn't have any play. I've been having issues with the latch. But since I sprayed it w/some silicone it seems to be easier to open. Still think my gf will have a hard time w/ opening it.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

yeah my bearings are right. the gate is rock solid in movement and locking open. when i swing mine shut the bottom scrapes on the bottom plate on the actual bumper. if i swing it hard it locks very solidly. opening it just requires a light yank. i settled with this because it was more important to have it lock closed securely. i still like the bumper and carrier, but i think making the end caps modular, there is a bit of play in bolting the bumper and carrier on.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah my bearings are right. the gate is rock solid in movement and locking open. when i swing mine shut the bottom scrapes on the bottom plate on the actual bumper. if i swing it hard it locks very solidly. opening it just requires a light yank. i settled with this because it was more important to have it lock closed securely. i still like the bumper and carrier, but i think making the end caps modular, there is a bit of play in bolting the bumper and carrier on.
Yep, I had the same issue, just adjust the bumper cap hex bolts, need to jiggle it around to make it fit just right.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sgregg108
Yep, I had the same issue, just adjust the bumper cap hex bolts, need to jiggle it around to make it fit just right.
yeah taking the bolt and sleeve out of the carrier hinge was a royal pain too. breaker bar and a lot of hammering to get the sleeve loose. not looking forward to doing it again to adjust the caps. makes me wish i had an air drill. can you run one off the ARB onboard air?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah taking the bolt and sleeve out of the carrier hinge was a royal pain too. breaker bar and a lot of hammering to get the sleeve loose. not looking forward to doing it again to adjust the caps. makes me wish i had an air drill. can you run one off the ARB onboard air?
I'm not sure about the arb air and tools. I meant adjusting the left side cap Allen head bolts, I loosened up all of those wiggled it around and it all lined up a bit better

Old 08-27-2014, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

oh ok, i will give that a shot too.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread