Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, does anyone have the MC QDs on the front? They are on there tight. I tried disconnecting them last night to install the brackets and man...never got them disconnected. Do you have to smack them with a mallet to get them off and put them back on? Cause they aren't coming off by any other means.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snags922
Hey, does anyone have the MC QDs on the front? They are on there tight. I tried disconnecting them last night to install the brackets and man...never got them disconnected. Do you have to smack them with a mallet to get them off and put them back on? Cause they aren't coming off by any other means.
Are you on level ground? One usually has less tension on it and will come off easier. However, nothing wrong giving them a few taps with a hammer. I've used mine a lot and they slide fairly easily now.

Start wheeling more and break them in!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Are you on level ground? One usually has less tension on it and will come off easier. However, nothing wrong giving them a few taps with a hammer. I've used mine a lot and they slide fairly easily now.

Start wheeling more and break them in!
It's fairly level ground. They were just installed and have zero hours of off-road on them. That's what I was hoping - once they get broken in, they will be easier to work with. I will take a mallet to them and get them off. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by snags922
It's fairly level ground. They were just installed and have zero hours of off-road on them. That's what I was hoping - once they get broken in, they will be easier to work with. I will take a mallet to them and get them off. Thanks.
i just use a rubber mallet to get them on/off. and sometimes need to have someone rock the jeep if it's not level.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

If they are that hard to get off on level ground you likely need to adjust one of them as they should slide right off if on level ground with no load on them.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by afletche
i just use a rubber mallet to get them on/off. and sometimes need to have someone rock the jeep if it's not level.
Rocking the Jeep might help. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If they are that hard to get off on level ground you likely need to adjust one of them as they should slide right off if on level ground with no load on them.
I will have to check that. On the 2.5" lift, i made them as short as I could but I might have one a little shorter than the other.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

WOW......I just thought of something. Since I have a Rubicon with electronic sway bar disconnect, I could activate that to release any pressure on the sway bar to make it easier to disconnect and reconnect the QDs.

I know many people are asking why did I get the QD sway bar links when I have the electronic sway bar disconnect. It's because I like to have the option, when on some of the more extreme trails, to be able to manually disconnect the sway bar.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

My old zone ones are basically the same build and they were akways hard even 2 years later. My MC are stiff to get on and off too. Been out 5 or so times and just as stiff. It not uneven ground its the rubber on metal (possibly caked in road grime) that make it tough. I use a screw driver against the spring perch to gently pry them off. Also experimenting with dry graphite lube right now

Stay muddy my friends
Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jade_Monkey07
My old zone ones are basically the same build and they were akways hard even 2 years later. My MC are stiff to get on and off too. Been out 5 or so times and just as stiff. It not uneven ground its the rubber on metal (possibly caked in road grime) that make it tough. I use a screw driver against the spring perch to gently pry them off. Also experimenting with dry graphite lube right now

Stay muddy my friends
When I get them off, I was thinking of Frog Lubing the rubber and the metal stud. Frog Lube works great on my guns - should work well on this too.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread