Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those leaning here this might be a good watch.

Note that the guy is talking about a different type of suspension so you have to take a grain of salt to the talk about understeer/oversteer correction. but most of his points and info is good no matter what the suspension type.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_liGnV3PTiQ Also for the nerds (self proclaimed) that are rambling about this here are some formulas

Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just drive my Jeep

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 06-16-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 06-16-2014, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
There is almost no resistance in the bushings on the sway bar. They are designed to hold it in place not put reistance on the torsion bar.
I broke an endlink on my car once. You could feel a distinct difference between left and right turns. I imagine it would be less noticeable on a Jeep though.

The sway bar would actuall move up less not more in relation to the travel in the axle.
It would move up less but forward more. The endlink is still going to try to keep it the same distance away.

I think that would only apply if the link was mounted below parallel, monted higher would result in more body roll due to less twist in the torsion bar. At least on paper.
I think it actually twists more. My calculations could be wrong though. I think a torsion spring has a variable rate so it gets harder to turn the more you turn it, so a few degrees might make a difference. Sorry for the off topicness of my post.

Last edited by steel pirate; 06-16-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Breaking a link would amount to not running a sway bar, you would notice it on the Jeep.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

I could tell a difference between no links and one link. You might be able to on a Jeep too, I'm not sure, never tried it.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by steel pirate
I could tell a difference between no links and one link. You might be able to on a Jeep too, I'm not sure, never tried it.
Uhm.... In your imagination maybe. If one or both are off the it makes no difference bar might as well not be there. (Well I guess there would be the friction of the bushings worth of difference, but I guarantee you couldn't tell the difference.)
Old 06-16-2014, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jnabird333
Uhm.... In your imagination maybe. If one or both are off the it makes no difference bar might as well not be there. (Well I guess there would be the friction of the bushings worth of difference, but I guarantee you couldn't tell the difference.)
A friend of mine noticed it too. You could see that the car didn't even sit level. It was a big aftermarket bar with polyurethane bushings. It was definitely noticeable. On a Jeep, I don't know, would have to experiment. Would you say an unlocked Rubicon swaybar feels exactly like a disconnected swaybar? I don't know, never compared them.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:20 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

He might have had a fixed sway bar on his car that would still have resistance on the one side.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

He might have had a fixed sway bar on his car that would still have resistance on the one side.
You're right! I wasn't thinking about this.... If it was the case then I apologise from my remark. BFWIW: It was typed with a smile on my face and was intended as just a good humor jab.

On a JK this is not the case. If one side is off it is doing nothing. Same as if both are off. Non-rubi owners only disconnect both sides to keep the non-linked side from interfering with anything.

If the links are properly sized, yes. a Rubi disconnected feels just like a physically disconnected bar and flexes the same.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread