Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Chill, bro. I thought limiting straps were to keep the coils from falling out. If you're going to put a lift in and then limit the articulation it seems foolish to me. Replace the drive shaft, move the exhaust back, or use spacers if your not going to use it. I was just asking a question.
Haha! Sorry if that came across rude!

I have difficulty with that with typing. no harm meant brother.

Ask long as you have good control arms and track bars, etc, your shocks are your limiters. On a Joe Blow, run of the mill rig like 99% of the people on this forum have, it's perfectly fine and safe to run that way. On a really heavy duty and or fast (racing) rig, you have to run straps or you will destroy your shocks.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:48 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Bypass
What don't you understand? Get under your jeep and look at the black rubber boot on your front drive shaft. look how close it is to the exhaust crossover. When you lift, it gets closer at rest. If you lift with longer shocks, like any lift should, when you articulate the drivers side tire down at all, the driveshaft will hit the exhaust and damage the driveshaft and potentially your transfer case.

Limiting straps are stupid as hell BTW. Running just one one the side is a good way to get yourself killed on the interstate on a big rise or dip.
You must not know what limiting straps do.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Chill, bro. I thought limiting straps were to keep the coils from falling out. If you're going to put a lift in and then limit the articulation it seems foolish to me. Replace the drive shaft, move the exhaust back, or use spacers if your not going to use it. I was just asking a question.
Limiting straps can be used to keep from bottoming out shocks, keep the coils seated, and to limit droop at the diferential to protect the driveshafts.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Limiting straps can be used to keep from bottoming out shocks, keep the coils seated, and to limit droop at the diferential to protect the driveshafts.
Thanks, dirtman. Appreciate the info.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Haha! Sorry if that came across rude!

I have difficulty with that with typing. no harm meant brother.
It's all good.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

You must not know what limiting straps do.
I understand what they do. I've had them on Jeeps, cars, trucks. I'm saying running just one on one side only on a street vehicle is dangerous because if it "limits" on the highway on a dip or rise, it can and will upset the vehicle to the point of losing control. It's almost as dangerous as driving with a broken or missing shock.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:37 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You must have bad highways down there as you would have to have 5"+ of drop off for the strap to even be a factor. A proper set up would be 4 or 6 straps depending on the set up but only running them at the differential shouldn't be dangerous.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 06-03-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

You must have bad highways down there as you would have to have 5"+ of drop off for the strap to even be a factor. A proper set up would be 4 or 6 straps depending on the set up but only running them at the differential should be a danger.
Yeah the roads are bad here, but if he could droop 5" he wouldn't need the strap. He can't really droop any with a decent lift. And on a soft suspension vehicle, 5" of suspension movement on a big dip or rise is nothing uncommon.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the roads are bad here, but if he could droop 5" he wouldn't need the strap. He can't really droop any with a decent lift. And on a soft suspension vehicle, 5" of suspension movement on a big dip or rise is nothing uncommon.
He was implying drop offs or holes 5" deep if i read that right..
Old 06-03-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

So, just how much can you droop an axle on the 2012+ models before the driveshaft hits? I have never seen that mentioned. I mean even replacing the driveshaft will only give you mb 1.5" of extra droop. Is anyone actually doing any real long travel building on the newer models or are they all just bolting on stuff?

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread