Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

No. You will just loose a bit of total articulation.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
No. You will just loose a bit of total articulation.
Dirtman - thanks for all the info...I appreciate it. Now you have me thinking though! I was going to do the limiting straps temporarily until I get some cash for a new driveshaft. It seems like it would be a lot simpler if I just spring for the driveshaft now. None of this stuff is easy...or cheap!
Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

A new aftermarket driveshaft will allow you more articuation due to the smaller diameter of the shaft. If running long travel shocks you will still run into the problem of contact with the exhaust, so it will really depend on your entire set up.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

A new aftermarket driveshaft will allow you more articuation due to the smaller diameter of the shaft. If running long travel shocks you will still run into the problem of contact with the exhaust, so it will really depend on your entire set up.
I guess I'll get the lift on this weekend and reevaluate the situation at that time.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

I am planning on buying the 2.5" dual rate lift kit, same exact one as the ARB edition but without the shocks. I want to put in the Fox Evolution series shock or the Fox smooth body IFP shock. Anyone run this setup? The price is roughly the same as with the OME shocks.

Also, here is another question....maybe dumb so don't beat me up too much. I am in a 4 door, want the 2.5" four door coils. Could I get more flex out of using the 2 door 3.5" springs? Would my ride suffer with the coils potentially being engaged/compressed (not sure if that is the right way to explain it). I don't want 3.5+ inches of lift with the 4 door 3.5" coils is the reason I am not entertaining those coils.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgesCommando
I am planning on buying the 2.5" dual rate lift kit, same exact one as the ARB edition but without the shocks. I want to put in the Fox Evolution series shock or the Fox smooth body IFP shock. Anyone run this setup? The price is roughly the same as with the OME shocks. Also, here is another question....maybe dumb so don't beat me up too much. I am in a 4 door, want the 2.5" four door coils. Could I get more flex out of using the 2 door 3.5" springs? Would my ride suffer with the coils potentially being engaged/compressed (not sure if that is the right way to explain it). I don't want 3.5+ inches of lift with the 4 door 3.5" coils is the reason I am not entertaining those coils.
The 3.5 2 door and 2.5 4 door coils are the exact same part. I have the 2.5 2 door coils on a 4 door and I got 3+ Inches if lift still. I have basically no bumpers, I do have a synthetic rope winch and a front bumper that is basically just a winch plate with fog lights. No tire carrier, I'm running a 35 on the stock tailgate and carrier. Running a trektop NX and full doors.

Also, springs don't give you "flex". If you mean fully unloading, the Metalcloak springs are specifically engineered to not unload with the OME or similar length shocks.

Last edited by Bypass; 06-03-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bypass
The 3.5 2 door and 2.5 4 door coils are the exact same part. I have the 2.5 2 door coils on a 4 door and I got 3+ Inches if lift still. I have basically no bumpers, I do have a synthetic rope winch and a front bumper that is basically just a winch plate with fog lights. No tire carrier, I'm running a 35 on the stock tailgate and carrier. Running a trektop NX and full doors.

Also, springs don't give you "flex". If you mean fully unloading, the Metalcloak springs are specifically engineered to not unload with the OME or similar length shocks.
Didn't know it was the same part. So that answers that question. I am pretty Light as well, same top but have custom built bumpers 70-100 pound range with No winch and 32" tires.

I am curious on How the ride is with the fox shocks, I tried to go thru 130+ pages to find the answer but every post started to look the same. My understanding is that OME sucks are softer whereas the fox shocks are a little stiffer. How are the fox sucks compared to stock shocks?
Old 06-03-2014, 02:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

New to this and still trying to understand. Wouldn't you only need limiting straps if your shocks aren't matched to your springs?
Old 06-03-2014, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
New to this and still trying to understand. Wouldn't you only need limiting straps if your shocks aren't matched to your springs?
What don't you understand? Get under your jeep and look at the black rubber boot on your front drive shaft. look how close it is to the exhaust crossover. When you lift, it gets closer at rest. If you lift with longer shocks, like any lift should, when you articulate the drivers side tire down at all, the driveshaft will hit the exhaust and damage the driveshaft and potentially your transfer case.

Limiting straps are stupid as hell BTW. Running just one one the side is a good way to get yourself killed on the interstate on a big rise or dip.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bypass
What don't you understand? Get under your jeep and look at the black rubber boot on your front drive shaft. look how close it is to the exhaust crossover. When you lift, it gets closer at rest. If you lift with longer shocks, like any lift should, when you articulate the drivers side tire down at all, the driveshaft will hit the exhaust and damage the driveshaft and potentially your transfer case.

Limiting straps are stupid as hell BTW. Running just one one the side is a good way to get yourself killed on the interstate on a big rise or dip.
Chill, bro. I thought limiting straps were to keep the coils from falling out. If you're going to put a lift in and then limit the articulation it seems foolish to me. Replace the drive shaft, move the exhaust back, or use spacers if your not going to use it. I was just asking a question.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread