Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by metal cloak over the phone to just use brake cleaner to get the dirt off and paint directly over it. I did at least 5 coats on everything(if not 7 or 8). It held up very well on the arms and trackbars and rear bracket. The swaybar links were just too smooth and it scratches of very easily. Im happy still, not a fan of the gold and I wanted the extra protection up here in rusty ol Canada. Its a much bigger job then I anticipated. Took 2 days. I went through 4 cans of rustoleum rust paint. We will see how well it all holds up over time. One wheeling trip down with no damage and more to come.

I dont always drive where others cant. but when I do, its in my Jeep. Stay muddy my friends
Old 05-29-2014, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered a metalcloak bushing retrofit kit for my teraflex arms.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will be doing my 2.5" GC ARB install this weekend if the weather holds out (need to do it outside). Anyway, I decided to go with the limiting strap as opposed to exhaust spacer or aftermarket driveshaft (for now anyway). Is there a certain length limiting strap that fits all JKs (mine is a 2012 JKUR if that matters) with an MC lift? Or do I have to wait til my lift is installed and measure? Where does the strap bolt up?
Old 06-03-2014, 03:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snags922
I will be doing my 2.5" GC ARB install this weekend if the weather holds out (need to do it outside). Anyway, I decided to go with the limiting strap as opposed to exhaust spacer or aftermarket driveshaft (for now anyway). Is there a certain length limiting strap that fits all JKs (mine is a 2012 JKUR if that matters) with an MC lift? Or do I have to wait til my lift is installed and measure? Where does the strap bolt up?
You need to have your new lift installed, then cycle suspension and measure. The shop I go to said after measuring go one inch shorter to allow for stretch ? Thinking..
Old 06-03-2014, 06:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Thats correct, you want to allow for stretch. Depending on the length of the strap you may need more or less length. For the differential strap you will likely only need to be about 1/2" shorter. An adjustable clevis mount works good to dial in the correct length.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
You need to have your new lift installed, then cycle suspension and measure. The shop I go to said after measuring go one inch shorter to allow for stretch ? Thinking..
Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Thats correct, you want to allow for stretch. Depending on the length of the strap you may need more or less length. For the differential strap you will likely only need to be about 1/2" shorter. An adjustable clevis mount works good to dial in the correct length.
So where does it bolt to?
Old 06-03-2014, 06:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You could use the control arm mount on top of the differential if you want and install the clevis on the frame above.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

You could use the control arm mount on top of the differential if you want and install the clevis on the frame above.
I'm sorry but I'm a little confused. If you use the control arm mount, isn't that moving the limiting strap outward away from the center-line of the vehicle? I thought I would put 1 limiting strap in the center of the axle so it wouldn't hinder any of the articulation that the MC lift gives me. I'm not questioning you by no means. Just trying to understand what I need to do.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

IF you want to max out articulation while protecting the driveshaft you install the limit strap at the driveshaft which is the center of the differential. You can however mount it whereever you want and welding a double sheer tab in the center of the axle to bolt it will work fine.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

IF you want to max out articulation while protecting the driveshaft you install the limit strap at the driveshaft which is the center of the differential. You can however mount it whereever you want and welding a double sheer tab in the center of the axle to bolt it will work fine.
That is exactly how I pictured it working. Is there any problem with doing it that way?

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread