Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still might get them incase I need the articulation they are rebuildable so I should be able to have them for ever
How much more maintenance are they and what would be the rebuild interval
Old 05-16-2014, 09:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goomer214
I still might get them incase I need the articulation they are rebuildable so I should be able to have them for ever How much more maintenance are they and what would be the rebuild interval
They really shouldn't need to be rebuilt much, unless you do a lot of high speed off-roading. The maintenance is essentially keeping the nitrogen pressure maintained. In my experience, just buy a recharge kit and be done with it.

Keep in kind that the articulation comes from uptravel. If you don't have clearance for it and run more bump stop, you gain nothing. I've done a good deal of trimming the rear wheel well to fully compress with 37s. I run Overlines front and rear and with 37s, I still have to run 2" of bump stop in the front. So I'm not getting 14" up front even with Overlines.

You can see in the attached picture what I cut. Most flat fenders attach at the bottom of the wheel arch, so you can see the extra clearance the fender gives by being relocated up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3562038890.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	553277

Name:	image-154186939.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	553278
Old 05-16-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by goomer214
Is there any reason besides extra articulation to get 6pak shocks they are real neat and good tech but I'm not a rock guy
Do they do anything for high speed off road or anything like that?? Thx for replies in advance
They are basically two shocks in one plus a reservoir, providing a decent amount of volume in a compact package. I have been driving fast in the desert with them, not racing, but driving 30-50 mph, sometimes for hours, and they remain surprisingly cool, even when you're on very uneven surfaces, cycling the suspension fairly rapidly. They get hot to the touch over time, but they don't fade. And as others have said repeatedly in this thread, they ride great, especially in my experience in the intermediate stuff, wheeling, but fast, washboards, whoops, etc. They come really well valved for that kind of driving.

I run fairly heavy, camping gear and such, and do all kinds of driving, from freeways to rocks to pretty fast desert stuff and for me the 6Paks have been a very good all-round shock.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by d-rap
They are basically two shocks in one plus a reservoir, providing a decent amount of volume in a compact package. I have been driving fast in the desert with them, not racing, but driving 30-50 mph, sometimes for hours, and they remain surprisingly cool, even when you're on very uneven surfaces, cycling the suspension fairly rapidly. They get hot to the touch over time, but they don't fade. And as others have said repeatedly in this thread, they ride great, especially in my experience in the intermediate stuff, wheeling, but fast, washboards, whoops, etc. They come really well valved for that kind of driving. I run fairly heavy, camping gear and such, and do all kinds of driving, from freeways to rocks to pretty fast desert stuff and for me the 6Paks have been a very good all-round shock.
Good comment here about weight. MC is designed assuming a loaded rig. My 2 door was a little stiff at first, but once the weight went on, it rides awesome. No doubt the 4 door feels even better.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

I know that the my sway bar was rubbing the front frame tube. The MC design results in the sway bar being angled up. The sway bar is never perfectly centered. I just took a grinder to the frame tube.
Going to look tomorrow. Is this something that was immediately apparent or like mine started after a few days.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Installed my aluminum inner front fenders I bought last Cyber Monday Had to enlist a friends help for proper tools haha

Name:	Inner Fender Install Grille Off DS WIP 2.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	553923

Name:	Inner Fender Install Grille Off DS WIP.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	553924

Name:	Inner Fender Install Grille Off DS Done.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	553921

Name:	Inner Fender Install PS Work.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	553925

Name:	Inner Fender Install All Done.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	553920

Now to save up for a MC lift haha #airforcepaysucks
Old 05-18-2014, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

can anyone comment on the time between ordering your lift and having it shipped? i know it takes a while, just curious. i ordered lift and bumpers on the 8th from MC.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:41 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dalearyous
can anyone comment on the time between ordering your lift and having it shipped? i know it takes a while, just curious. i ordered lift and bumpers on the 8th from MC.
Couple months for me.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I emailed them last week and they said 2 to 3 weeks. Time will tell.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dalearyous
Mine was about a month, but I also ordered the week prior to King of the Hammers, so there's a week out the window.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread