Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally did some flex testing to check bump stops and rub points. I got cut short on travel when we found some additional rear trimming is needed. The front is giving it all she can. In fact, I need about an additional 1/2" of bump. The rear still has about 3" of travel left once we finish the trim job.

I currently have 2" bump bump stops front and rear. I can't decide if I'm going to turn down one of the 1" stops for the 1/2" that I need in the front or just run 3" stops and call it a day. I think the rear will be good once I do a little more trimming...

I have a wheeling trip planned in two weeks so the real test is coming soon!

Old 03-31-2014, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jnabird333
I have 37" Goodyear MTR/Ks on 17x9s. I am a fat gnat's ass under 78" to the top of the hard top in the rear. I have a pretty light build as well.
Nice. I have about 80.5" of room to get in and out Thanks for the measurement!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone notice their MC suspension squeaking? I retorqued all control arms but still have some squeaking when going over objects or pulling into my driveway.

My thinking is the 125 lb-ft of torque is enough to keep the center of the duroflex bushing stationary and not move against the control arm mounts. It could be the shocks as I still need to get under there while someone is moving the front of the JK up and down.

Thoughts?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by idiotec
What the word on squeaking? I have not had much time with mine, 2.5", front LCA's, front track bar, rear bracket, OME shocks, but have played around a little disconnected and it definetly seems to squeak more while flexing around compared to stock. Same for everyone? I might loosen everything up, and re-torque to see if it makes a difference. I know the rear coils are bowed quite a bit, and the rear passenger does not want to seat great at the top. The basic correction wedges best (easiest) option for this? Or do not worry about it?

Another question, I have done some flexing on rocks on my property to try and check clearances, bumps, etc, but it is not very scientific. Is there a more controlled way to flex everything out to check these things?

Can't wait for the summer wheeling season to get going!

Thanks
Just saw your reply. I'm having the same issue. Game Changer ARB/OME 2.5" kit.

I emailed MC and haven't gotten a reply yet. I was going to spary some silicone on each control arm mount to see if that fixed it to give me an idea of where it is coming from.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jnabird333
Finally did some flex testing to check bump stops and rub points. I got cut short on travel when we found some additional rear trimming is needed. The front is giving it all she can. In fact, I need about an additional 1/2" of bump. The rear still has about 3" of travel left once we finish the trim job.

I currently have 2" bump bump stops front and rear. I can't decide if I'm going to turn down one of the 1" stops for the 1/2" that I need in the front or just run 3" stops and call it a day. I think the rear will be good once I do a little more trimming...

I have a wheeling trip planned in two weeks so the real test is coming soon!

out of curiosity how high were you able to lift the front/rear tiers before a tire comes up? You have the 12" travel? Just curious id also love to know the 2 doors.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
out of curiosity how high were you able to lift the front/rear tiers before a tire comes up? You have the 12" travel? Just curious id also love to know the 2 doors.
Unfortunately I didn't measure that... I wasn't able to fully flex yet. The rub I had in the rear would've cut the tires. In the one shot I have from the back with my youngest in the picture you can see that I still have a bunch of up travel left in the rear to use. Once I get the trimming done I will check again and measure.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Looks to me that your shocks are the problem. By those photos you could have run a shock with a 2" longer body. Are those a 10" travel or 12" travel?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Looks to me that your shocks are the problem. By those photos you could have run a shock with a 2" longer body. Are those a 10" travel or 12" travel?
The Front has 11.56" of travel and the rear has 11.3". Keep in mind that my ultimate goal is to move the rear lower shock mounting locations up 1.5" to remove some of the material under the LCAs. I just haven't gotten that far yet. I like to take baby steps so troubleshooting any issues is easier. If I change too much at once it can be more difficult.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike
Has anyone notice their MC suspension squeaking? I retorqued all control arms but still have some squeaking when going over objects or pulling into my driveway.

My thinking is the 125 lb-ft of torque is enough to keep the center of the duroflex bushing stationary and not move against the control arm mounts. It could be the shocks as I still need to get under there while someone is moving the front of the JK up and down.

Thoughts?
Notice it when pulling out of my carport, but always thought it was the swaybar mount needing more grease. I don't know, never really looked into it as a problem.

The only other noise that concerned me was a popping at an assumed full flex on the trail - I figured this was the coil seating itself in the base.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Need to order an exhaust spacer too for my 2014. Any recommendations for my 3.5 ARB?

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread