Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know how it works but if you are lifting it you are also typically getting extended links to match the suspension or you should. While certainly you might technically be able to droop more, you also might be drooping to much depending on how your suspension is set-up. Ultimately if you really don't know how all this works together you should probably just stick with using the kit how it was designed. Gaining an extra inch or 2 of droop does nothing for you if there is no stability to go with it.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

Something that is often overlooked is the ease of reconnecting the sway bar on a Rubi. While wheeling stock there was two instances I reconnected to purposely carry a tire over a hole I knew I couldn't flex to the bottom of.

I have yet to see a road worthy JK that flexed so much the Rubi disconnect became an issue when appropriate length links are used.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

4 doors can get away with less. Rear pinion angle and wheelbase are an issue on 2 doors. Another benefit of rear arms is pushing the axle back if you run 37s or larger (unless you don't mind cutting more sheet metal).
Just remember that moving the axle back has some disadvantages too. It can cause clearance issues with some track bars and the rear diff. It also causes considerably more spring bow.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jnabird333
Just remember that moving the axle back has some disadvantages too. It can cause clearance issues with some track bars and the rear diff. It also causes considerably more spring bow.
Right, I meant move the axle back to get the stock wheel base. Lifting pulls the rear axle forward. Assuming one adjusts them to position the axle back to the stock wheel base, you shouldn't have clearance issues.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

Right, I meant move the axle back to get the stock wheel base. Lifting pulls the rear axle forward. Assuming one adjusts them to position the axle back to the stock wheel base, you shouldn't have clearance issues.
Agreed, but for a 4" lift this distance is 0.4". Not the 1" that both RK and MC suggest. At least the MC arms have enough thread to shorten them to stock length if you wish.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jnabird333
Agreed, but for a 4" lift this distance is 0.4". Not the 1" that both RK and MC suggest. At least the MC arms have enough thread to shorten them to stock length if you wish.
Metalcloak presets and recommends rear control arms at plus 5/8"
Old 03-25-2014, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rsbmg
For those with the COMPLETE MC 3.5 Gamechanger or ARB Edition has anyone experienced issues with "tail wagging " Other than one person?? I don't find this mentioned by anyone else but may have missed it.

Also jnabird333 can you describe the setup at the time you noted this issue? Was it the 2.5 or 3.5 was it a complete kit meaning all MC parts?
I have the complete MC 3.5 kit on my JKU. I was an early adopter, so I can't say much on track bar redesigns. There is a bit of rear roll on quick slalom type maneuvers. Very minimal. The only time it happens for me is in a badly planned parking deck. Not going to bore you with details, but there are some quick left to rights involved.
For comparison, there is slightly more roll than stock. That said the ride is much better then when I had a RK max travel. THAT was like driving in a bowl of jello. If I had a cage, I would have needed a helmet.
Just saying, there's movement, but I've had much worse.

Went to MC after the JKO thread. Have not regretted it at all. Springs stayed seated, no ass sag, no taco the sway bar. No bullshit warranty.

I don't come here often so forgive me if you have follow up questions I miss. SO.....

3.5 GC on 37" MTR/K
Daily driver---drives great, zero complaints
Off road---moderate trails---like a caddy
Off road---technical trails---flexes like a mofo--stays planted well---3 wheels on the ground is better than 2

Cons I've found
Powdercoat is weak at some points. My front fenders are getting "foggy" rust at quarter panels. No big deal, just hate to spend time on something I paid for. Rustoleum hammered black FTW.
6 packs need charging once in awhile. $2 at 4WP. Again, no big deal.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rsbmg
For those with the COMPLETE MC 3.5 Gamechanger or ARB Edition has anyone experienced issues with "tail wagging " Other than one person?? I don't find this mentioned by anyone else but may have missed it.

Also jnabird333 can you describe the setup at the time you noted this issue? Was it the 2.5 or 3.5 was it a complete kit meaning all MC parts?

Nope. I have no issues with anything from my kit. Drives great. Super tight and responsive.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jnabird333 has the full 3.5" kit with bilstein remote res shocks instead of the arb. He felt the rear trackbar raised the roll center to hi messing with geometry.

I've talked with him a little on the issue at club meetings. I don't think it's a major problem. He just didn't like the feel. He is an engineer by trade and therefore hyper sensitive of anything different in his ride.

I haven't driven in the MC rig to give you my take. I know it's not the coils or arms tho since I run both of those and love them.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepineer

Metalcloak presets and recommends rear control arms at plus 5/8"
This is from the MC site.... Upper is set 1" longer and lower is 1"ish to adjust for pinion angle

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140326_052727.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	540679

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread