Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak Front Outboard Shock Brackets

Old 09-28-2016, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Metalcloak Front Outboard Shock Brackets

Have a set on the way due to me bending my shock shaft almost and rubbing the frame when flexing not even fully on Fox 11.6" travel shocks, sitting at about 3.75"-4" of lift.

I was wondering if anyone else was using these, NOT the nemesis mounts, and if they could post some pics of them in action (flexed out.)

I was wondering if any of you could also post a close up of the shock stem on the upper mount-frameside? I want to know if anyone has incurred damage to that area or if the bushings just wear into a wedge shape as a result.

I know if I flip my drag link I will have less axle shift under articulation, but that's not something I can afford at the moment. I plan on doing it before the end of the year. I can't hardly find any pictures of anyone using these brackets and especially actually USING them, not just parked on flatland with them in the picture. My main concern right now is rotating the mount sideways 90 degrees so it doesn't bend my shock shafts.

I was also wondering if anyone has any shaft bending issues on rear shocks with long travel, on rigs that use bare minimum height bump stops? My jeep will be easily fully utilizing the 11.6" travel, could really use some 14" coilovers but I'm not rich lol.

Let me see what y'all got. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I have these and they work like a charm. Unfortunately, I don’t have any pictures of them in or out of action at the moment. I will say that I run Fox 2.0 shocks in the 4-6” variety. They rubbed on my frame pretty bad…..and for too long (my shock body is oriented at the top). I have a ring all the way around the passenger side body, and half way round the driver’s side. These brackets are well worth the money. Last time I was out I flexed all the way just to verify no issues. Even when flexed, I had a ton of clearance between the shock body and the frame. In regards to the upper mount, I haven’t run them long enough to tell, but I would presume they’re just getting a bit wedged, and that is a small price to pay. I don’t regret getting these at all. The ONLY thing I regret is that not even a week after ordering them, Metalcloak came out with one of their free shipping Flash Sales! That’s always my luck, and their shipping is ridiculous! That said, they have great product. I’d also note that I’m running these with Ace aluminum inner liners, 3.5” RK springs with full set of Metalcloak arms, 3” of bump up front, factory height drag link, and 37’s. I get a lot of flex and have zero clearance issues.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I have these and they work like a charm. Unfortunately, I don’t have any pictures of them in or out of action at the moment. I will say that I run Fox 2.0 shocks in the 4-6” variety. They rubbed on my frame pretty bad…..and for too long (my shock body is oriented at the top). I have a ring all the way around the passenger side body, and half way round the driver’s side. These brackets are well worth the money. Last time I was out I flexed all the way just to verify no issues. Even when flexed, I had a ton of clearance between the shock body and the frame. In regards to the upper mount, I haven’t run them long enough to tell, but I would presume they’re just getting a bit wedged, and that is a small price to pay. I don’t regret getting these at all. The ONLY thing I regret is that not even a week after ordering them, Metalcloak came out with one of their free shipping Flash Sales! That’s always my luck, and their shipping is ridiculous! That said, they have great product. I’d also note that I’m running these with Ace aluminum inner liners, 3.5” RK springs with full set of Metalcloak arms, 3” of bump up front, factory height drag link, and 37’s. I get a lot of flex and have zero clearance issues.
Thanks man. Good info. I also noticed that their shipping is ridiculous. I know it doesn't cost $18 to send those light, small brackets from CA to TX. There's no way. I mentioned that in my survey I filled out, that I felt the shipping was high for what I ordered. The fact you're also running a factory height drag link gives me some good reassurance. The only thing I'm worried about is the upper mount stem bending somehow during fast/hard runs through wallops on trails. I'm also on 37s but I run the very least bumpstop possible. I talked to fox and they said the shocks can be fully compressed with no damage, so long as the rubber stop is there still. Most people would have you believe you cant safely fully compress shocks unless you leave like 1-2" of shaft showing at full bump. Screw that. Wasted travel
Old 09-29-2016, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a similar setup with the same issue, the passenger side is the worst. I'd definitely looking into a set of these. I was unaware that these shocks could be bottomed on the rubber bumper without damage... Are you positive? I'm running the same shock in the BDS tuned flavor.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
I have a similar setup with the same issue, the passenger side is the worst. I'd definitely looking into a set of these. I was unaware that these shocks could be bottomed on the rubber bumper without damage... Are you positive? I'm running the same shock in the BDS tuned flavor.
I'm 100% sure. I talked directly to a tech at Fox. He said the only damage would be from the metal eyelet bottoming out on the shock body. The rubber bumper prevents that.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

All these forums and threads and people who don't know what they're talking about regurgitating half truths and whole lies a lot would have you thinking there's some mysterious part inside the shocks that would be damaged from compressing the full shaft into the body. That's ridiculous. As long as you don't slam it in and over compress it and smack the mounting point into the body of the shock there won't be a problem
Old 09-29-2016, 02:22 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Holy ring around the shock body! I really hate that I stumbled on to these relocate brackets along the way and not right up front before I tortured my shocks.

On a side note, why the heck can't I get any pic to orient the right way on the site. doesn't matter how i orient it on my computer, same way every time online.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160929_170728.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	657815  
Old 09-29-2016, 03:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm very anal about fully using shock travel. I cut that rubber bumper in half cause I thought it was too thick, the shocks specified travel when measured on the shock is the same amount of travel you get without the bumper. And I wanted all the travel I paid for so I trimmed the bumpers to half their original thickness. I felt confident doing this because my bumpstops are set for an exact shock length which is a little more than the full compressed length of this shock. I wouldn't recommend this if you haven't measured your shock mounts exactly at full bump (metal cup to bumpstop landing pad).

I gained maybe 3/16" extra travel and I've had no issues, except a little frustration that I'm still getting about 3/16" less than specified travel for my fox shocks due to the remaining 3/16" of the rubber bumper I left on because I was afraid to remove it completely, even though I believe I could remove the rubber bumper due to the measurements I did.

Gnarly_Mike, I know you can appreciate this because you seem as anal about suspension travel as I am, lol

Last edited by Biginboca; 09-29-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:40 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Nice Rock Stars there. Have some of those as well. ..... Right up there with one of the mods!
Old 09-29-2016, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

I run them and have had no issues with a hard summer of wheeling. My 11" travel shocks would rub & bind all the time but not anymore. They were a bit noisy for the first week but once the bushings found their new home all was good. I can 3 wheel the jeep and there's plenty of room between the frame & shock body. I suggest you run them.

I run 3" lift, 37s, high steer & with 3" front bumpstops I have a 1/4" of shaft showing at full bump

Poser pic just because

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3771442591.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	739.2 KB
ID:	657817

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Front Outboard Shock Brackets