Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metalcloak 2.5 dual rate coils

Old 08-15-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SF Nick
Nice! Well I guess the weight of a 4 door makes a difference. I run 3" bumps with 37s &3.5 lift with a little rub in the rear. Granted I don't have 3.5" of back spacing. Wish they had the Overland finders out when I got my PS fenders they look badass!
Weight has nothing to do with it. Your bumps stop the uptravel. Doesn't matter if you have 5" coils. Your tires stop going up when the bumps stop the axle. Sounds like you just need to remove a little metal and you can go to 2" in the rear.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Weight has nothing to do with it. Your bumps stop the uptravel. Doesn't matter if you have 5" coils. Your tires stop going up when the bumps stop the axle. Sounds like you just need to remove a little metal and you can go to 2" in the rear.
That makes complete sense.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:34 PM
JK Freak

So.... You're thinking about getting an inch more lift that requires buying a DL flip, all so you can lose 1.5" of travel? Hmm....

I think that works so long as you run dual steering stabilizers up front.
I'd take the lose of travel for more driveability, I'll just have to see how it drives first. Rig is more of an expedition rig so a little lose of flex isn't a big deal. Worse case scenario is frame notch like Kjeeper said.

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Not to mention probably a new driveshaft up front also eventually.
That's why I'm still on the fence. With 2.5" I could probably get away with the stock driveshafts, with the 3.5" it'll need it sooner than later.

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Lol

Frame notch FTW

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Yep.

The flip kit hits the frame. You either lose 1.5" of up travel, or notch the frame.

Contrary to popular belief, coil height has nothing to do with travel. The 2.5" coils have the same travel as the 3.5". Same shocks, which is the limiting factor. I was running 14" travel shocks on the 2.5" coils. Worked great.
What shocks, and did you relocate them? I know the 2.5" have the same free length as the 3.5", I'm just wondering how it achieves more height, stiffer wind?
Old 08-15-2014, 09:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead
I'd take the lose of travel for more driveability, I'll just have to see how it drives first. Rig is more of an expedition rig so a little lose of flex isn't a big deal. Worse case scenario is frame notch like Kjeeper said. That's why I'm still on the fence. With 2.5" I could probably get away with the stock driveshafts, with the 3.5" it'll need it sooner than later. Yep. What shocks, and did you relocate them? I know the 2.5" have the same free length as the 3.5", I'm just wondering how it achieves more height, stiffer wind?
I don't understand. You gain nothing with 3.5" coils. However, as you clearly state, you lose flex because driveability is more important so you'll use a flip kit. And, you'll accept quicker death of your driveshaft. So, what is the argument for 3.5" over 2.5"?

I have the 6Pak shocks.

Not sure on the coils. Free length is close, spring rate is higher.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:46 AM
JK Freak

Belly height? 2.5" it is, lol.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak 2.5 dual rate coils