Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Metal shards in rear diff

Old 12-23-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Metal shards in rear diff

I've had some noise on deceleration for the last 2 days so I pulled the drain plug off of the rear differential and found some small metal shards. Fluid has that brown/silver color that I like soo much.

The gears themselves look fine, no missing pieces. I rotated the wheels so that I could check the whole ring. What do I look for next. Do I pull the axles and check the splines?

Old 12-23-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your pinion shaft for play, you may have lost part of the compression washer or bearing. I would do that first, and then pull the axles.

I see $$ in your future.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

No play at the pinion shaft, at least when I push on it by hand. I'll pull the shafts as well.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ken,

o man, I know that picture very well, I am sorry to see that,

check the casing of the bearings,
that's what I found in my case - the casing was ripped of and damaged but still keeping the bearing together, the reason for damaged casing was still broken gear but shreds like that are from soft metal pieces milled by gears,

let me know if you will need hand fixing this,
I would be happy to come and help in case you will be working on it on your own,
I have some spare time between now and new year,

Mirek.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

here is what I found when my gears started to make noise (at deceleration)

Old 12-24-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

I had the opportunity to talk with Mituk about his ring and pinion repair. I’ll be reviewing his thread in order to decide if I want to tackle this job myself or have it done.

I reviewed Mituk’s pictures and I think I have the same problem as he had. I pulled both axle shafts and they look great. The right one had very small pieces of metal on the splines, but no damage. I suspect the pinion gear is toast along with all of the bearings. I’ll need to pull the carrier to check the pinion. Mituk also said to check the backlash prior to pulling it.

Mituk’s gear thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ears-on-my-own

Choices:
1. Take it back to the original installer and have them do the repair. I called the installer and he said that he would cover the parts under warrantee and I would need to pay for labor. My 5.13’s where installed in Oct 07 so I think that is fair.
2. Take Mituk up on his offer to help with the repair. This’ll cost me a steak dinner some good beer (Polish I think, Mituk’s from Poland) and parts. I think Mituk has the tools that I don’t. I wonder if Mituk knows how cold it gets in a Frazier park winter. He’ll be OK; I think it snows in Poland too.
3. Take it down to EVO and see if a Dana 60 will fit for my application. I recently installed an Aux fuel tank and I think that EVO has enough experience doing 60’s that they could tell me if a 60 will fit.

What are your thoughts?
Old 12-24-2010, 09:41 PM
JK Freak

If you have the money, its hard to say no to a 60!
Old 12-25-2010, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have NEVER failed a Dana 60...

Howard
Old 01-06-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

An update on the gears.

I took the jeep back to the installer. The pinion gear is toast. It looks just like Mituk's pinion in the post above.

Superior is going to warrantee the gears. 4wheel parts is giving me a break on the overhaul kit and labor. The out of pocket estimate on the repair is $400. For $400 I'm going to have 4wheel parts do the repair. The down side is that these gears are backordered until Jan 20.

In the mean time I'm going to be doing the research on a Dana 60. I have GenRights Aux fuel tank installed so space behind the axle is at a premium.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man Ken sorry to hear that but glad to know you've identified the problem.

Quick Reply: Metal shards in rear diff