Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

melted brake lines .. almost!

Old 02-20-2008, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay .. so I just talked to my friend. He said take it to a shop and have them check it out to make sure nothing is wrong with the brakes.

Should I go this route and risk it? I am just kinda worried. Follow my gut stomach and spend money that we don't have for my childrens safety or ... just drive it after new lines and system was bled?

I am suppoesd to go wheeling on saturday and there are lots of hill climbs. I am just freaked of them going out ...

like my friend said. I always have 4wd and the ebrake ... ahhh
Old 02-20-2008, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

holy crap ..... like my days get any better. Houseing since we live on base .. just posted a notice, saying we need to move our tires (we have no place to store them on base), work bench, I can't put my bumper back on, itsnot legal to drive without one and that we need to get rid of our recycling .. haha .. sorry if we order lots of parts for our vehicles and don't have anywhere to put em ..

i am pissed. can't a girl get a brake. So now i have to get my bumper on tonight in the dark .... geehzh

o, let me add ... WE DONT LIVE HERE BY CHOICE! our effin house burnt down 4 months ago!
Old 02-20-2008, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkgirl08
okay .. so I just talked to my friend. He said take it to a shop and have them check it out to make sure nothing is wrong with the brakes.
Since, we have no way of telling how the current flowed through vehicle and burned the brake lines you could quite possible tear your entire rear axle apart and inspect it for heat and electrical damage. This is what I would do.......with a flash light rotate each rear tire 360 degrees and look at the brake rotors surfaces (both sides) for any signs of heat damage. Heat damage will show up as a discoloration and possible pitting in the rotor. You may be able to look through your rims and see the rotor and behind the dust shroud for the inboard sides. If not remove your wheels to inspect the rotors.

Next I would take the Jeep around the block and make sure no idiot lights illuminate. IE check engine, ABS and ESP. If that is fine go to a remote area and do a few panic stops at different speeds. Still if no lights are illuminated on the dash perform this task to check for faults.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...what-they-mean

If all the steps are performed as above and no faults are detected. Electrically the system is sound.

If no signs of heat or other damage is detected I would call it a day.

NEVER tell your local Jeep dealership about this mistake.

In closing we all make mistakes it part of the learning process so do not keep your hubby in the dog house to long.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

okay .. so i did the test ... my brakes and tranny sign stayed on .. but didn't show any number and flashed done after a second of thinking ..

will do the brake test today. Yah, I was just angry. Beleive me, Ihave done things too .. I am over it now that I have new brakes.

Thanks for reminding me, I need that!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, she's not the only one...

I know a guy who was setting up a winch on a JK and the hot side got grounded due to his routing. He wired directly to the battery. Key in, radio playing... nothing unusual happened and he didn't even know it was grounding out. He was digging the remote out of the packaging to test the winch and realized the brake lines under the hood running out of the ESB/ABS controller are smoking - then the paint catches on fire. No sh!t - on fire! In a mater of a minute the brake system was so hot the paint on the metal lines was burning and he could hear the fluid boiling... pulled the wires off the battery and dumped some water on the lines to cool them off. Took care of the short and everything seems fine - with some break bleeding to get rid of the built up air (the peddle was going to the floor). He's going to flush the entire system but damn, that was scary! It seems the front bumper is grounded to the brake system some how. Just watch out for it when installing a winch.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

I have not read through all of the posts, but have you verified that your emergency brake was not engaged at the time, or that it is not bound up somehow placing pressure on the rear brakes. One way they could get that hot would be due to high friction over for an extended period of time.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

e brake was engaged ... never figured it out though. Just afriad to unhook the winch and put a new one on ... that it would do the same thing .. or if i get a new bumper and have to re hook it up ...

my jeep does crazy things ..... its like a gremiln!

Quick Reply: melted brake lines .. almost!