Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

melted brake lines .. almost!

Old 02-18-2008, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkgirl08
No .. its located in the back from the factory. Its where it was put ...

I called my shop that does all the work. Well ....

since I have abs .. and my husband took off the brake line yesterday without me knowing .. he dcrained the whole system and may have shot the entire brake system. So A HELL OF A LOT MORE MONEY THAN BEFORE! Now I am pissed. I have to tow my jeep into the shop, its not covered by warranty cause the winch fried the lines ... my day just keeps getting better.

TO make matters better ('worse' really) .. he's on duty tli' tommorow. I have no vehicle to drive if I have an emergency. I have two little babies too. 20 months and 5 months old. This calls for a replacement rig. Maybe I can talk him into getting a loan for this. I am angry. This is freaking stupid and this blows ass!
Chance are the system will be ok, just refilled and air bled. They shouldn't have had enough time to dry out anything. Towings a bummer but AAA or something could help that out. I think you might even have that option under your purchase/lease agreement. Hope so.

The burnt section would have had to have been drained anyhow since it got overheated.

Let us know how it ends up, and how the winch is doing.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is no reason at all that the system will be destroyed if the brake fluid is drained for a few days. I agree that the bleeding procedure will be more time consuming and it will cost a little more. However, given the situation you need to get all of the old fluid out anyway.

And you were not going to drive this with your children in the car like this anyway RIGHT? No fluid is actually less dangerous than melted scary lines, because for some reason you keep bringing up driving it. DON'T DRIVE IT AT ALL, get it towed or fix it where it sits.

If you have an emergency, you should do what anyone without a car would do. A real emergency occurs? Call 911 and get an ambulance. A non-emergency "emergency" occurs, such as a lack of diapers, just call a cab. Pay the driver to load up the car seats and away you go. Even if you blow $500 in a day on one of those things, it is better than serious injury or death.

The jumper cables definitely did it. The positive one had a good connection and the negative one did not. The ground side found a path back to the battery another way.

After all this gets fixed post back and we can teach you or our Husband to do a voltage drop test. It is the only way to positively verify this will not occur again.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jkgirl08,
I hate to hear that is is going to be such big problem for you and the family. Hopefully replacing the bad line and putting in some fresh brake fluid (and of course bleeding the system)will get to back on and then off the road soon

Mike
Old 02-18-2008, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

Thanks guys ....

oh .. I definetly would not drive it even begfore he drained the line and took it off. No ... lol! I would walk or catch a bus. It just sucks, cause i live on a military base and its not like just anyone can come pick me up... thats besides the point though.

So him bleeding the line, has nothing to do with the ABS and disconnecting the brake line? My mechanic told me it does. I don't think hes into screing me over. He got me a great deal on my tires and lift and driveshafts.
I just don't know who to listen to, cause I am a chick and new to this. LMAO!

I am willing to learn. First time my husband wrked on my jeep and it gets FCKD. Every other time its gone to the dealrship or my mechanic ....

i am pissed but am trying to stay calm.

Anyways. After I figure out whats oging on tommorow and hit my husband upside the head for working on my jeep drunk, whenI told him not too. ... I will let you guys know oh and also on the winch too.

Tanks again!

Last edited by rubiconjack; 02-18-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

haha .. i reached enthusiast. WOoO HOO! I am a dork. geez.

yah, hopefuly it doesn't cost an arm and leg. I am praying that its just replace the fluid get new lines on and bleed the air out ...

keep your fingers crossed!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha ha I put my 4in Superlift on and went through a case of beer, maybe that's why it took 17 hours Sorry to hear your having troubles again,hell your having more down time than wheel time Hop[e things get better for you , Take a basic auto mechanics course , get a jeep bible, and tell hubby to stay away from the JK
Old 02-19-2008, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

okay .. so northridge saved my jeep. They have the 20" brake lines in stock. hubby is pick in em' up.

So i gfet to finish my bumper tonight and my brake. I may get to go wheeling saturday!
Old 02-19-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to hear sweetie, glad your back on track , Take care and be careful.
PS don't let hubby near JK, get some knowledge, do a little studying and learn to take care of it yourself.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:57 PM
JK Freak

I am hoping too .. he's putting the brake lines back on .. I have no idea how to .. as for hooking th ewinch up and getting my bumper cut and winch bolted on rest the way and cb and everything else I am doing ... haha ...

just ahve to learn now ... I am getting to do a rebuild on our XJ with him. He's rebuilding his jeep .. but kinda how I am learning ...

hopefully nothing else is screwed up after this.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkgirl08
No .. its located in the back from the factory. Its where it was put ...
huh? a battery in the back from factory?

the brakeline is really weird. i saw that happen once before when someone was welding on the axle but had the ground cable clamped onto the frame. the only path the electricity could travel was down the braided hose. i can't imaging how that happend with the winch though. the only thing i can think of is that the alternator is grounded to the engine, the engine is normally grounded through a ground cable to the body. BUT its also connected to the transmission and tcase and then throught the driveshafts to the axles. if the ground cable isnt good then thats the path it might have taken, and traveled back up to the frame through the brake hose. (the frame is where the winch is grounded to), especially if the jumper cable you connected wasnt connected well to the battery, it was searching for a ground and found one. nothing else electrical (locker or switch or anytihng) could draw that much current. the ABS system does when it engages its pump to stop you in a skid, but i dont see how that woulda done anything since the truck was motionless.

Quick Reply: melted brake lines .. almost!