Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

McGard Wheel Lock Key Broke......now what ??

Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default McGard Wheel Lock Key Broke......now what ??

Well.....I started the install of the 19/60 coil springs tonight. Got the fronts in and was re-installing the wheels and the darn wheel lock key broke.... I have been meaning to take those locks off since I bought the Jeep for this exact reason. Now i've got 5 wheel locks with no key and no "key number" to get another key. Needless to say, the rear coils won't be going in for a while..... What are my options here?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weld a nut to the wheel locks and remove. If you don't have a welder, jb weld works. Good luck.

Last edited by Lancejk; 05-06-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:39 PM
JK Freak

If you have an old (or not, if you don't care) socket that is almost bigger than the locking lug nut, you can hammer it on and remove those that way. I speak from experience...12-point socket works better.

Another option is to contact McGard. They can send you a replacement key if you send them a digital photo of the lug nut key pattern. I'd still try the socket idea. I did not replace my wheel locks, either.

Last edited by glwood6; 05-06-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Wheel locks

Originally Posted by glwood6
if you have an old (or not, if you don't care) socket that is almost bigger than the locking lug nut, you can hammer it on and remove those that way. I speak from experience...12-point socket works better.
i watched a youtube video of someone doing this method....looks like i will be giving it a try tomorrow.......5 times.....

I also read that there is a special socket made to remove damaged lug nuts, but i've not seen them anywhere...
Old 05-06-2012, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigRedRubi
i watched a youtube video of someone doing this method....looks like i will be giving it a try tomorrow.......5 times.....

I also read that there is a special socket made to remove damaged lug nuts, but i've not seen them anywhere...
Worked like a charm for me. It didn't even mess up the socket. Good luck tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:00 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BigRedRubi
SEARS has them
Old 05-07-2012, 03:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the socket trick works and there are special sockets made for removing locking lugs (they are smooth on the inside and tappered). Most tire shops have sets of these specialty sockets and will take yours locking lugs off for a fee if you don't want to mess with it.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

try this, also i like this dudes channel on working on cars. real helpful stuff.
How To Remove Wheel Locks Without a Key - YouTube
Old 05-07-2012, 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm already on my third key since December. I'm goin to get gorilla ones when I make the time to remove the last lug. Each key is 15 bucks I replace. I can almost get a gorilla kit for that price and it's better designed.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=glwood6;3000515]If you have an old (or not, if you don't care) socket that is almost bigger than the locking lug nut, you can hammer it on and remove those that way. I speak from experience...12-point socket works better.

What he said. Been there, done that. If you tighten the rest of the lugs a bit more it will also make it easier to remove the locking lugs.

Good luck, but I bet they come off easier than you expect.

Gary

Quick Reply: McGard Wheel Lock Key Broke......now what ??