Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MBRP tire carrier reinforcement kit HELP!!!

Old 03-12-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBRP tire carrier reinforcement kit HELP!!!

Trying to install this kit, which is a backer plate system for the stock carrier. The instructions say to bust the stock nuts off the tailgate by wiggling the supplied bolt to break the spot welds. I CANNOT GET THE STOCK NUTS OFF! The kit is labeled for 2007 to 2009, mine is a 2010...Is the tailgate setup different on 2010s so a reinforcement kit is not needed? These nuts seem to be welded damn well and they dont want to come off....any help is appreciated.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Problem solved

The instructions say it should not take much to bust em loose, boy is that an understatement. LOTS OF FORCE, and they are out. Broke both the supplied bolts. Caution to anyone installing this kit in the future. Go to hardware store and buy a few extra, longer bolts for more leverage.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow... That sounds like a bad idea... I bet your tailgate buckles anyway, you just bought yourself a bit more time.

Edit: your hinges will fail regardless of the backing plate. Be prepared.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an Or-fab carrier on order but I did install the mbrp kit on my 07. I bought some grade 8 bolts and used those to bust loose the welded nuts
Old 03-13-2011, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found I had to tap the bolts pretty hard with a hammer from side to side to get the stock spot welded nuts off. Just be careful, I think I broke the 2 bolts supplied and had to make a trip to the hardware store for some more.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

With regards to hinge failure... The tire I put on weighs 12 lbs more than the stock rubber. The after market wheel might weigh another 8 lbs.... Is an extra 20 lbs realistically going to cause that much more strain on the hinges? What about the people who run bike racks with 2 bikes attached to the spare?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

....I'm calling shenanigans on the owner's manual stated limit of 50 lbs on the carrier. The stock Dueler a/t rh-s weighs 48 lbs, and i know the stock 18" wheel is not an airweight..... Im not planning on throwing a 35 on there, but come on, do you really think the a$$ is gonna fall off my JK by running a 33" tire on the stock carrier?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same kit and having known what a pain in the ass it was going to be to install I would never have installed it. Broke both supplied bolts. All it did was buy me a little more time then had to eventually buy a new tire carrier anyway.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2saharas
....I'm calling shenanigans on the owner's manual stated limit of 50 lbs on the carrier. The stock Dueler a/t rh-s weighs 48 lbs, and i know the stock 18" wheel is not an airweight..... Im not planning on throwing a 35 on there, but come on, do you really think the a$$ is gonna fall off my JK by running a 33" tire on the stock carrier?
Some people on here have had tailgates buckle with stock tires!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My hinges failed with my stock dueller and 18" wheel. Had to replace both hinges.

Quick Reply: MBRP tire carrier reinforcement kit HELP!!!