Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MBRP spare tire reinforcement bracket - prep work for install.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tailgate already sags with the stock 32s. When I upgrade to 35s, I'm gonna run with the spare in the trunk until I pick up a tire carrier. The new Teraflex looks promising.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

That makes me wonder just what kind of QC Jeep has with regard to their tire carier. Some carriers apparently hold up OK for a long while with much heavier tires while others wear out with the factory spare.

Now we have to start a thread on tailgate like the one on track bar bolts!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have run a 35 with a steelie
Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

I have run a 35 on the stock carrier for two years. I personally have not had any cracking issues on the tailgate. I took the wore off now because the actual carrier was cracking right accros the top of it.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Interestingly enough, a magnet will NOT "stick" to the stock tire carrier. Only to the lug bolts.

Now ain't that a great design?

Last edited by dan3jeeps; 03-13-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dan3jeeps
Interestingly enough, a magnet will NOT "stick" to the stock tire carrier. Only to the lug bolts.
This stock carrier is cast aluminum right?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigRich

This stock carrier is cast aluminum right?
Pretty sure that's right.

I have this kit installed. But going with the or fab soon as I get time to install.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default The install

Finally got the kit in and installed. Pretty simple install, you will need another set of hands for part of it but their help will not take up any more than 5 minutes of their time.

The parts are:

You will not need the silver bolts for the install. They are included to help break off the tailgate weld nuts. I used metric hardened bolts and still broke two and slightly bent one.

Assembled.

The bottom two backings should have the clip nuts installed like this or there will be a slight clearance issue inside the tailgate.

With a buddy holding the stock tire carrier in place over the tailgate holes reach your hand into the vent opening and fit the bracket into place over the tailgate holes. Then simply screw in the factory mounting bolts. I wear an XL glove and even with my big paws I was able to fit my hand into the vent hole to wiggle the brackets into place. Keep the bolts loose for now until you get all 8 inserted. Tighten and there you go. Looks like a typical stock tailgate from the exterior.

If you want to remove the factory tire carrier, you can simply leave the brackets and bolts in place.

Certainly this is no where near as good an upgrade as a dedicated bumper mount tire carrier or a frame mounted tire carrier, but for the stock tire and I would postulate one size larger (keeping the weight roughly similar) this should add a little extra security to the tailgate mount platform, not the hinges, but how the mount distributes the weight of the tire across the tailgate's sheet metal.

Quick Reply: MBRP spare tire reinforcement bracket - prep work for install.