Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MBRP spare tire reinforcement bracket - prep work for install.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MBRP spare tire reinforcement bracket - prep work for install.

I decided to try this kit

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...forcement.html

for a little additional reinforcement to the stock tire carrier. Plus I was bored today and needed something to do. I read quite a few threads on this simple mod and the biggest complaint seemed to be with the removal of the factory tailgate weld nuts; some guys saying they spent up to an hour trying to remove the weld nuts.

Removing the spare tire carrier takes about 3 minutes and is a no brainer. This will gain you access to the tailgate nut holes.

Instead of using the weak bolts that come with the kit for the weld nut removal (as I had heard of these breaking during weld nut removal) I bought three hardened metric bolts to fit the weld nuts. These were 3.25" long and threaded as M8 1.25 pitch.

Using the hardened bolts (and I did still break two of them) it only took me 7 minutes to remove the weld nuts from the inside of the tailgate. It took another 7 or so to fish them out using a magnet on a stick.

When beating on the bolts with the rubber mallet, be sure to watch the bolt carefully. Hopefully it will not break at all, but if it does mine broke about 1/4 to 1/2 way through allowing me to unscrew and discard the bolt instead of fighting with removing part of a bolt broken off in the weld nut. Be observant here. Use a new bolt to finish the task.

All you have to do in screw in the hardened bolt and begin whacking on it with a rubber mallet on the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions until you hear a SNAP! That is the weld nut breaking off inside the tailgate. Then unscrew the bolt from the nut and move to the next one. For what it's worth, the top 4 nuts broke off with little effort, maybe 1 whack from all 4 positions while the bottom 4 nuts required much more beating and effort.

Like I said, use hardened bolts and don't be genteel with the rubber mallet and these come right off.

I know this kit is only a patch on a larger problem, especially for guys running much larger spare tires, but for the stock sized tire or maybe something a tad larger, this mod certainly cannot hurt.

Starting

Closeup

Broken hardened bolts

Nuts removed. Notice weld points on nuts.

Last edited by dan3jeeps; 03-12-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very interested too!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

what size spare do you run?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am currently running a stock sized spare; 255/75/17 on an aluminum wheel. It weighs in at exactly 60 lbs, BTW. I ordered the kit for install and when I get that mounted I will throw on a 285/70/17 on that same factory rim. I will not be running it for long, just several months until I figure out what bumper/tire combo I mat eventually go with.

I will keep the process updated for those who wish to make the most of the stock spare tire carrier.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 285/75-17 on my stock carrier. Weight with wheel 65-70 lbs. I have no problems what so ever with stress or it bouncing around. I hear alot of stories but have yet to experience any of them. Only think I can think of that may have helped me is the fact I made custom rear bumper brackets to rais my bumper after a body lift.Bottom of my tire actually "rubs" or "sits" on my bumper when tailgate is closed.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I have nothing good to say, I usually don't say anything, but with this product I have to chime in.

It doesn't work ! Waste of money ! It advertises you can run 35s with these reinforced tailgate brackets, you can't !

The tailgate is two rectangular sheets welded together back and front. With a heavier than stock tire too much stress on the outer sheet will lead to the spot welds breaking and popping - take a look at the inner sheet for 1/2inch circular dimples, those are the welds that will break.

If you're running stock tires, it cannot hurt, but for 35s and larger you need a rear tire carrier. Period.

Not meant as a rant, I feel annoyed at this product, its advertised use, and this post will save you the same.

Last edited by westchester; 03-13-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

I went with this kit because my factory carrier started to crack. And that was with a 33 on it!
I also bought the Olympic steel tire carrier. It bolts right up to the factory holes.
I ran this set-up for about a year with a 315/70R-17 spare. Absolutely solid, no issues.
I understand some folks have seen spot welds popping and such. Maybe the spare took a hit when off-road?
Last summer I went to Colorado and then over to Moab, tons of off-roading, again no issues.

I have never been comfortable with the spare bolted to the tailgate, at least not the way the factory has it.
In December I installed the OR-Fab spare tire/gas can carrier. Now there is nothing bolted to the tailgate except a tramp stamp!

I think you can use the MBRP kit for awhile. But eventually you should get the tire off the tailgate, either with a rear bumper/carrier combo or a spare carrier like the OR-Fab.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

EClass,

The tire resting on the bumper seems to help. I have read here where other jeepers have done that and I imagine that can only help. The tailgate ain't the strongest compilation of sheet metal to work with, but it does seem to be a decent platform from which to work, as long as the tire size does not become ridiculously large/heavy.

westchester,

I agree. I think that 35's are too much tire for the tailgate. Some guys here state they have run a 35 for a year or two with no issues but the majority of guys opt for something else and many times from a bad experience with the combo of that large a tire and the factory carrier.

This kit distributes the weight over a bit wider area and adds some additional support to the 2 layers of sheet metal. Will it hold up? Only time will tell. At this point I cannot argue whether or not it is "a waste of money" or not. Perhaps for 35's or even the heaviest of 33's w/steel wheels it is not sufficient. But I do contend that for stock tires or even tires a tad larger than stock, it certainly can't hurt. And for $30.00 it is an inexpensive project that gets me into the garage.

texwillys,

I like the idea of the metal tire carrier. I could not believe how light the stock carrier was when I removed it. How much did the metal carrier weigh? I may have to look into that as part of this project. Does it NOT have a provision for the raised brake light?

I really really like the OR FAB swing out tire carrier you now have. That is what I am ultimately shooting for, I think. How much time and e3fort was invloved with installing that?

Last edited by dan3jeeps; 03-13-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dan3jeeps
EClass,

The tire resting on the bumper seems to help. I have read here where other jeepers have done that and I imagine that can only help. The tailgate ain't the strongest compilation of sheet metal to work with, but it does seem to be a decent platform from which to work, as long as the tire size does not become ridiculously large/heavy.

westchester,

I agree. I think that 35's are too much tire for the tailgate. Some guys here state they have run a 35 for a year or two with no issues but the majority of guys opt for something else and many times from a bad experience with the combo of that large a tire and the factory carrier.

This kit distributes the weight over a bit wider area and adds some additional support to the 2 layers of sheet metal. Will it hold up? Only time will tell. At this point I cannot argue whether or not it is "a waste of money" or not. Perhaps for 35's or even the heaviest of 33's w/steel wheels it is not sufficient. But I do contend that for stock tires or even tires a tad larger than stock, it certainly can't hurt. And for $30.00 it is an inexpensive project that gets me into the garage.

texwillys,

I like the idea of the metal tire carrier. I could not believe how light the stock carrier was when I removed it. How much did the metal carrier weigh? I may have to look into that as part of this project. Does it NOT have a provision for the raised brake light?

I really really like the OR FAB swing out tire carrier you now have. That is what I am ultimately shooting for, I think. How much time and e3fort was invloved with installing that?

Dan,

I tried to send you a pm, but your inbox is full. The Olympic steel carrier is a few pounds heavier. But it is also heavier duty. The combination of the MBRP kit and the Olympic carrier should easily hold a 33, and probably a 35. That set-up is considerably cheaper than a new bumper/carrier combo. But I was just not comfortable. So I chose the OR-Fab carrier.
It is not difficult to install, but it requires a lot of time and patience. I am very happy with the tire carrier and have gotten tons of positive comments.
In either case you will have to replace the third brake light. I am using the Delta Lug Nut Lights in the spare.

Below is a photo of the brake lights when I was running the Olympic carrier.

Quick Reply: MBRP spare tire reinforcement bracket - prep work for install.