Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

mbrp light bar

Old 07-14-2010, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by highergr0und
Looks really good with that bumper..... Did you have to do any cutting?
Nothing to the light bar, a couple of holes to the RR bumper.

Here's my write-up:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...MBRP-Light-Bar
Old 07-14-2010, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Verdulken
Here's mine with the RR modular bumper.

and here with the stock bumper.

nice rig !!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 PM
RAM
JK Newbie

Here's mine with the RR modular bumper.

and here with the stock bumper.

that is exactly what I wanted to do. I was wondering how that combo would look. What did you have to do to make it work out?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Just got mine and installing it this weekend. Ill post pics. That thing looks great on the RR Modular bumper. I didn't know it would go right on there and Im happy that it will since that is the bumper I am eventually going to go with myself. I thought that I was going to have to buy the hoop that RR offers and I dont like it as much as this MBRP bar. This thing is beefy. That silver JK is looking real nice verdulken. Nice job
Old 07-15-2010, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RAM
that is exactly what I wanted to do. I was wondering how that combo would look. What did you have to do to make it work out?
Here's the write-up:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...MBRP-Light-Bar

The only thing I have to add now is the winch, be aware that if you are planning on getting a big winch like the Warn power plant it might not fit because of the angle of the tubes and the way the loop base seats on the bumper. From the beginning I always planned to get a cheaper winch like the Warn 9000 or the XRC8 so based on the manufacturers measurements they should fit no problem.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by gmaheu
Just got mine and installing it this weekend. Ill post pics. That thing looks great on the RR Modular bumper. I didn't know it would go right on there and Im happy that it will since that is the bumper I am eventually going to go with myself. I thought that I was going to have to buy the hoop that RR offers and I dont like it as much as this MBRP bar. This thing is beefy. That silver JK is looking real nice verdulken. Nice job
Thanks man
Old 07-15-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default Need some help with this install

I decided to get a head start on this project so I went out and started to remove the plastic piece the sits just behind the bumper. I know that I am going to have to cut out the two end depressions to put the bar on. It has two plastic screws that hold it down. This is where my problems have already begun.
I went to try and remove these and all they did was spin. The outside piece stayed in place (as I believe they are supposed to) while the inside piece turned and turned and turned while nothing happened. Eventually after trying numerous ways to get this off, the phillips head holes in the plastic have nearly completly rounded out and the piece of plastic has not loosened one bit.
Now I don't know what to do. Should I just drill these out and rip this thing off? (but then how will I put this back on) Thats my question. If I destroy these plastic screw pieces where can I get more, does anybody know. Or does anybody know how I can do this without destroying them?
Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

I decided to get a head start on this project so I went out and started to remove the plastic piece the sits just behind the bumper. I know that I am going to have to cut out the two end depressions to put the bar on. It has two plastic screws that hold it down. This is where my problems have already begun.
I went to try and remove these and all they did was spin. The outside piece stayed in place (as I believe they are supposed to) while the inside piece turned and turned and turned while nothing happened. Eventually after trying numerous ways to get this off, the phillips head holes in the plastic have nearly completly rounded out and the piece of plastic has not loosened one bit.
Now I don't know what to do. Should I just drill these out and rip this thing off? (but then how will I put this back on) Thats my question. If I destroy these plastic screw pieces where can I get more, does anybody know. Or does anybody know how I can do this without destroying them?
Thanks
Well after a little more research on here, it seems that these phillips head slots are completely worthless and have no purpose at all. I just need to pry out the center piece. Il try that. Sorry for posting b4 doing more research.

Last edited by gmaheu; 07-15-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Well after a little more research it seems that these phillips head slots are completely worthless and have no purpose at all. I guess that the center piece is not threaded even though it has ribs and that it is supposd to be pryed out of the retainer using some other method. Is this true for others?

What has thrown me is that the ones that hold the grill on do not have the phillips slot and are designed to pry out with a flat head screwdriver.
Yeah, those things suck.

Are you just installing the light bar and keeping the stock bumper ? in this case I guess you do need the screws, when I did it I just didn't put back the plastic, I don't think it needs it and it doesn't look bad without it.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, those things suck.

Are you just installing the light bar and keeping the stock bumper ? in this case I guess you do need the screws, when I did it I just didn't put back the plastic, I don't think it needs it and it doesn't look bad without it.
Yeah, for now Im just going with the stock bumper until I get the RR bumper at some point(hopefully sooner rather than later) but I never thought about just leaving the plastic piece off. It looks like when you had the stock bumper on, you left that big plastic shroud under the bumper off too. I think I might leave that off as well.

Another question for ya, what grille inserts do you have on there. They look real good.

PS: I was able to pry the two plastic screws out of the top piece without destroying them too bad and I was able to put them back in and they still work good. What a crappy design though, I mean come on Mopar.

Last edited by gmaheu; 07-16-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: mbrp light bar