Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MBRP Exhaust Pro's & Con's

Old 05-30-2009, 09:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The skid plate issue was not operator error and also very simple to fix, but I did have an issue with the clamps (I adjusted them too many times), they got me new clamps the next day and I was good to go, since it was my first exhaust I learned a lot and it was easier than I though
Old 05-31-2009, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

regarding the rubber hangers - i know people say wd-40, or other lubricant, prybar and elbow grease, but i'm not getting it done. some have cut them and bought new ones - where do these new ones come from, the dealer or can you get them from an auto parts store? i would rather just cut them and put new ones on. i'm going to search autozone, etc., but thought i would check here.

if not cutting, are you removing the hanger from the post that mounts to the jeep frame or just from the exhaust? instructions read as if pulling the exhaust connection from the rubber hanger is all that is necessary (i.e., leaving the rubber hanger attached to the jeep), but i wondered if the connection to the jeep frame was earier to get the exhaust out and then pull it from the exhaust connection when off the jeep.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chunks

Wow, all of this from someone who doesent even have the product. I have the system, installed it myself in my driveway, and I'm happy with it. Its quality stuff and I thought the hanger was placed wrong also, until I twisted the pipe up a little more. Kudos to MBRP for providing a good product for a reasonable price.
exactly! my post was deleted because I didn't put it as nice as you.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chunks
Lube the rubber piece up then slip a flat blade screwdriver through the hanger hole. Then use the end of the hanger as a pivot point and pry it off. Hope it works for ya.....
worked like a charm - thanks.

stock off - going back out to install...

edit: for clarification, this post previously mentioned that i cut the passenger side hanger. i purchased the relocation exhaust and therefore did not need the passenger side. if you have the replacement muffler in back position like the stock one, you will still need this hanger, so don't cut it unless you have replacements. i've now edited this post to remove that statement, but since my original post was copied in the post that follows (#26), i wanted to add this clarification - sorry for the confustion.

Last edited by JKsJK; 05-31-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

I have had two mechanics look at my self installed kit and they both gave me the same answer "Take that shit back" but i didnt feel like dealing with it so I left it on. Its great once everything is fixed.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Topher8668
I have had two mechanics look at my self installed kit and they both gave me the same answer "Take that shit back" but i didnt feel like dealing with it so I left it on. Its great once everything is fixed.
what are you talking about - the exhaust, as in take the exhaust back?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:45 AM
JK Newbie

i'm @ work now . picking my exhaust up after lunch . this will be my first exhaust install but i'm so stoked to get outta here and try to put this thing on myself ! out of all the video's on youtube , this was by far the best sounding . i originally wanted the gibson dual but the sound clip's changed that in a hurry . i opted for the stainless version with the lifetime warranty . so , iv'e got a day and a half to get in installed . i told the boss if i wasn't at work monday it was becuase my mechanical skill's suck & i couldn't drive my jeep without a muffler ! he didn't fall for it ..
Old 06-13-2009, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the black coated one getting installed as we speak. I hope I made the right choice over the stainless. Hoping the black holds up at least for a little while.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

I love my MBPR catback. Nice low deep throaty growl.

For a quick installation, grab your Sawzall with a metal blade. The OEM muffler hangers are a soft steel and cut easily. Once you have the exhaust out, the remaining hanget stud left sticking in the rubber hangers can be yanked out with a little WD40 and a pair of vice grips.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gai jason
i'm @ work now . picking my exhaust up after lunch . this will be my first exhaust install but i'm so stoked to get outta here and try to put this thing on myself ! out of all the video's on youtube , this was by far the best sounding . i originally wanted the gibson dual but the sound clip's changed that in a hurry . i opted for the stainless version with the lifetime warranty . so , iv'e got a day and a half to get in installed . i told the boss if i wasn't at work monday it was becuase my mechanical skill's suck & i couldn't drive my jeep without a muffler ! he didn't fall for it ..
You'll be fine. If I can do it anyone can. Just crank down on the clamps really good. Then wait for that big smile to come to you when first fire it up.

Quick Reply: MBRP Exhaust Pro's & Con's